saba frames - info?

I read somewhere, Lfgss forum I think, that Saba were built by Viner.
Now I've got a Saba and the inside fork crown has a full set of playing card motifs cut into it, something I've seen recently on a vintage Viner track frame. Mine is supposed to be from 1979. The Viner was from around that time.

Also recently on ebay I saw a Saba for sale with star cut out lugs, which is a Viner trademark. This looked older than my frame, but cannot be 100% certain.

I've done a fair bit of trawling through google image and flickr and I came across another Saba frame which around the seat tube had a rainbow stripe band with cicli Viner Pistoia written across it.

So maybe at least some of the Saba's were indeed built by viner?

The inside fork crown 'playing card' reinforcement was a standard frame building component used by lots of builders.

My Barton-on-Humber built Falcon San Remo from the mid 70's has a fancy drilled "inside the fork reinforcement"... I asked them to do it LOL

It doesn't really do anything as it's just a brazed fillet of metal on the inside of the fork and isn't cast as part of the fork crown itself..

Nowadays I would be called a tart :D

Shaun

Saba Equipe

Hello folks

I bought a Saba Equipe frame from Broadribbs Oxford back in the 70s. It was made from Columbus SL tubing with Campag dropouts, and had light blue metallic fleck paintwork with SABA in yellow. As previously stated, the logo was a man with arms raised - the race winner?. The lugs were drilled with the man logo, the word SABA was also engraved onto the top of the forks and seat stays. Inside of the fork lugs and rear stays have hearts, clubs, spades and diamond cut-outs. The bottom bracket shell was slotted and came fitted with an O.M.A.S titanium bottom bracket with ergal rings. It cost £160 which was a lot of dosh back in the day.

I still have it at home, though got it resprayed by Mercian in the late 80's and covered with Pinarello transfers

I'll give it a clean up and post some pictures if anyone is interested?

Cheers

I'd Like to see it :) The SABA frames I came across in 1978 from the reps had a little button brazed on the seat stay above the dropout to hook the chain onto. Class :D

Our boss never stocked them (Cliff Pratt Cycles) as the tight wads in Yorkshire would never buy them. Especially as they were more expensive than a Raleigh 753 !!

Shaun

I may turn my old bike into a restoration project. It would be great to get it back to the original light blue fleck with yellow decals etc. I found a load of Saba stuff for sale on the internet. With the old school Cinelli and Campag Super Record stuff cleaned up, I reckon it'll look the business.

Midlife":1546ozs4 said:
I'd Like to see it :) The SABA frames I came across in 1978 from the reps had a little button brazed on the seat stay above the dropout to hook the chain onto. Class :D

Our boss never stocked them (Cliff Pratt Cycles) as the tight wads in Yorkshire would never buy them. Especially as they were more expensive than a Raleigh 753 !!

Shaun

Hello,
While looking for information about my frame I found this thread.
I share some photos of my frame, may know if this is a Saba or maybe someone can help me with some information.
Greetings!

J.

Attachments

• IMG_0582.jpg
    IMG_0582.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 572
  • IMG_0587.jpg
    IMG_0587.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 571
  • IMG_0595.jpg
    IMG_0595.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 571
  • IMG_0599.jpg
    IMG_0599.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 573
The cutouts look totally different to those on my frame. Yours *might* be a Saba, I couldn't say. I've never seen every Saba frame made, so don't know if they changed the style of cutouts. I will try and get some photos up when the weather improves.

juanitodz":1vvxoh4e said:
Hello,
While looking for information about my frame I found this thread.
I share some photos of my frame, may know if this is a Saba or maybe someone can help me with some information.
Greetings!

J.

This might be co-incidence but i saw a frame with those cut-outs somewhere very recently on a forum - presumably not on here. I think (but i could be wrong) that the advice was it was not Saba but another make - i am thinking Sachs but again i could be completely wrong. Someone here will know.

Richard - the one with the amnesiac goldfish memory

Not in a position (physically or financially) to do anything with my old Saba bike. Can't believe how expensive enamellers are these days. Will put it up on the For Sale board soon, along with the old school bits and bobs, and hope someone might be interested.

Back