saba frames - info?

It's a very clean, nice example for sure. 15 watchers so should sell.

Midlife":3owowt8o said:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/stunning-vintage-classic-untouched-italian-saba-road-race-raceing-frame-forks-/221347174594?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Fragrances_Women_s_Fragrances_PP&hash=item338951d8c2#ht_3176wt_959

Missed that one..........

Shaun

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Hello Ladies and Gents

Please excuse the dodgy photos. They were taken in the dark using a mobile phone. Having some building work done meant I was forced to clear out the garage. Here are a few pics of my Saba Equipe, complete with Mercian enamelling and Pinarello transfers which still look good. When I say "good" translate that as "not bad for a bike nearly 40 years old". It's highly unlikely I will ever ride it again, so shall carefully dismantle, clean, polish and re-assemble in time for a summer sale. I have already started on the Campag Super Record road pedals which I shelved and replaced with Speedplay ones thinking they would turn me into Michael Hutchinson!

Found a few other bits too, a couple of Cinelli stems (one Record, one type 1A), a LaPrad seat pillar which was the lightest available back in the day!

Cheers

Richard

Attachments

• 20140201_191129.jpg
    20140201_191129.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 653
  • 20140201_191152.jpg
    20140201_191152.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 653
  • 20140201_191244.jpg
    20140201_191244.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 653
That looks like a nice bike. It is a huge frame? Your phone takes great pics!!!

Richard

IIRC back in the day Italo Bergliano had one or more relations connected with the bike trade & living in Italy It was more than likely that one or another would consult the Italian frame builders book[ in those days some what similar to the London telephone directory] & ring around to find who could build X # of frames, they would submit a spec & possibly have a single frame built to check out spec/workmanship if they had not used that builder before & if OK they would order up a batch in various sizes. Unless you were Some body rider wise I doubt if you could get a custom frame. they were the usual off the peg worked out angles/wheelbase/clearances etc. It would be extremely difficult to determine who was the actual builder. A lot of the European companys used this building method for their stock off the peg frames in the 70s/80s & possibly later but I left the game in 1991 so cannot comment on later dates Possibly the same with alloy off the peg frames

Re:

Evening Gents

I have a Saba frame/forks
I'll get some photos up over the weekend
Always wanted to know about these
Very nice looking steel

Malc

Re:

Hmmm!!

I picked this up locally here in North Wales a few months ago
Intrigued with it and nice workmanship.
Are they rare?

Not sure if I will re-finish it. But it looks a great frame to restore.
It's been stripped too bear metal with signs of a dark wine colour

Malc

Not quite as rare as the Viner siblings of the same era. I came across them as Ian Hallam's mount when he rode for KP Crisps/SABA. I had a good look at one at The 1978 Harrogate Show. Nicely made with the new Poratacatena dropouts. The colour was a pale gold colour like the lightweight Raleigh colour…...... I've been on the lookout for one, Hillary Stone has one of the metallic red ones but wary if the source.

Shaun

Back