Mavic OR 7 Rims

marshalllucky

Retro Guru
Just picked up a nice Peugeot 753 I saw locally ( no pictures yet sorry ) and it has Mavic OR7 Gold anodized rims , anyone know anything about these rims? . They're not in the best condition but very pretty but not much info online about them. Anyone info comments appreciated.

Don't know about the OR7 but back in the 80s OR10 rims had a reputation of being soft and so being more easily damaged than other Mavic sprints. Can't comment on that myself as I had only one OR10, a 24h on a front hub which I used for flat time trials. It was the only 24h Mavic rim I could find at the time and nobody else knew the model because I'd spent considerable time removing the gold anodising and polishing it to match the Legere on the rear wheel.
Thinking back, I had some really nice kit during those years - I wonder what happened to it all?

If you are still interested, I seem to recall that the OR7 was the lightest Rim in the Mavic range at the time. If memory serves, the OR10 was quoted as being 310 grammes per rim and the OR7 as 260/270? Also, I seem to remember that the OR7 was little bit wider (about 1mm), presumably to attempt to regain a little stiffness from the exceptionally light Rim. Strictly for good roads or the Track!!

Back