Decent frame pump . What happened to them

bagpuss

rBotM Winner
After trawling the net with no look , has anyone any pointers on a good quality frame fit pump .Topeak and Zefal used to make them .
So far I can only find small or xl . Iam after medium or large .
I find the gas cartridges crap . Mini pumps are waste of time .
Looking for an alloy/ metal body sort
Tia

Last edited:
Talking of pumps, does anybody else still modify theirs with a small hole at the top of the cylinder barrel?
SAM_0001.JPG Positioned just into the section swept by the piston washer, back in my younger years the theory was that it allowed the cylinder to fill fully rather than relying on what passed by the washer on it's outstroke. Dunno if it's of any benefit whatsoever but I still drill them.

Talking of pumps, does anybody else still modify theirs with a small hole at the top of the cylinder barrel?
View attachment 838582Positioned just into the section swept by the piston washer, back in my younger years the theory was that it allowed the cylinder to fill fully rather than relying on what passed by the washer on it's outstroke. Dunno if it's of any benefit whatsoever but I still drill them.
Never seen that done before but I understand the concept. Make sure it's drilled at the top not the bottom...........................:rolleyes:

View attachment 838582Positioned just into the section swept by the piston washer, back in my younger years the theory was that it allowed the cylinder to fill fully rather than relying on what passed by the washer on it's outstroke. Dunno if it's of any benefit whatsoever but I still drill them.
No, I never heard of this before. No idea if the "science" behind it is valid.

Lezyne Road Drive frame pump comes on Med & Large. Not cheap but a good pump no doubt.
I looked on SJS cycles website to find it. They used to sell the Zefal HPX which is what I've had in the past, no longer made by Zefal I assume.
looks like Zefal just discontinued the HPX. I would imagine there are still a range of sizes available on eBay and Amazon considering how recently they were discontinued. I've had good luck finding classic silca imperio frame pumps in a range of size and colours on ebay, etc. I think you can even get the campy chuck NOS. I was leery of the imperio when I inherited one due to its plastic construction. I think mine hails from the 70's and it still works fine.

Back