Decent frame pump . What happened to them

I thought that CO₂ was recovered. Probably not though.😕

One of the reasons I do it is that I just don't want to be on the side of a highway any longer than I need to be.
Four cops were killed a few years ago on the side of a highway here (in one hit).😨

There's one section of highway where I live that I can't avoid (without driving to the start point, and that is worse environmentally speaking). Only about 2 km (each way) I guess. If I want to travel in a certain direction that is. I don't always go on it. But I don't have much ride choice where I live. But anyway I'm not going to stuff about pumping up tyres on the side of the road, looking like a complete tit in the eyes of some drivers, when there are cars, buses/coaches and trucks (semi-trailers) zooming by at 100+ km/hr. I'm basically a sitting duck, so no, I'm not doing it. Too dangerous!

The other main reason is convenience. After getting a puncture, it's always a total bummer, and I generally want to get going as quickly as possible, with as little effort as possible.

In any case, in the whole scheme of things, it's not that much waste (or cost).

Last edited:
If you inflate your tyres with co²then that's carbon capture.🤔
You can probably apply for a subsidy-

Bikes in the world: 1billion
Average tyre volume: 2 litres each
CO² mass: 2g/litre

So if everyone used CO²:
1,000,000,000x2x2x2
=8,000,000,000g
=8,000,000kg
=8000 tons of CO² stored

I think a carbon credit (per ton) could be worth a tenner, so that's ending up about the same value as... Screenshot_20240414-114435_Firefox.jpg

a gold- plated Colnago Master with Super Record groupset!

Last edited:
I had a similar experience with a metal pump. possibly a Bluemels, back in the early 70's. Middle of winter, cold, damp, foggy, roads covered in grit (you all know the sort of day!). About 15/20 miles to get home on the Sunday club run - and I get a double puncture! I think I was running heavy winter tubulars and had to borrow one from a clubmate as I only had one spare. Half way through pumping the back tyre the shaft bent double which annoyed me somewhat. In a fit of pique I threw the sad remains over the fence into the adjacent field - which was ploughed, muddy and extremely wet. As the sad remains cartwheeled through the air I remembered there was a Campag adapter fitted to the pump. Some minutes later, ankle deep in mud and bullets, I retrieved it - and threw the now slightly smaller sad remains back into the field. Couple this with me kicking the back wheel and injuring my toe in the process (I lost the nail!) I was not in the best of spirits when I eventually got home to tell my long suffering Mrs the sorry tale.

Did I get any sympathy? I'll leave it to you to decide...........................🥺🥺
Sounds a bit like a fly-tipping incident.

If you inflate your tyres with co²then that's carbon capture.🤔
You can probably apply for a subsidy-

Bikes in the world: 1billion
Average tyre volume: 2 litres each
CO² mass: 2g/litre

So if everyone used CO²:
1,000,000,000x2x2x2
=8,000,000,000g
=8,000,000kg
=8000 tons of CO² stored

I think a carbon credit (per ton) could be worth a tenner, so that's ending up about the same value as...View attachment 839603

a gold- plated Colnago Master with Super Record groupset!
Makes as much sense as much of the environmental lobby’s approach and calculations. Probably more effective to be honest!

I thought that CO₂ was recovered. Probably not though.😕
It is. Mostly not from in the atmosphere but as part of industrial production of gases and other products. Unless marked otherwise the CO₂ in cartridges is most likely 'food grade' (so 99.lots of 9s % pure) but don't risk putting one in a drinks carboniser unless you're absolutely certain of it's source.

Making the container will produce a lot more co2 - from burning fossil fuels - than the contents.
Perhaps they recycle some of this directly into the container?🤣

Do you think we could share a little of ourselves with our fellow cyclists when we "pass over" - in the form of Memento Mori CO² canisters?
Perhaps each featuring a photograph, a cameo, or just a picture of our favourite bike? I mean inflating a tyre seems a better than having ashes scattered on a favourite spot😍

Back