Re chroming forks.

Try aeromax coatings....im about to get a frame "nickel" plated by them....

They have done motorbike frames and wheels for us....its very good.

The guy who runs it actually came up with the formula they use....he really knows his stuff. Its much shinier than the prismatic stuff I've seem......

Amd yes....you can powder over chrome. My touring bike forks were done 10 years ago with no problems to date.

1696318380377.png

Prior to the late 1970s Colnago followed information proffered by Columbus that as their tubing was chromium-molybdenum chrome plating was inadvisable. I remember the first time I saw a Colnago with what looked like a chromed area on the RH chain stay, on closer examination it was in fact a strip of very well applied metallic tape.

Which gave me a thought. Although not true to original build, you can get "Chrome" wrap as used on cars/vans. Has anyone tried popping into a wrapping place to see if they would try applying to forks/bike? Given the now high cost of plating it might be a practical solution? As long as any corrosion underneath was cleared and sealed I see no reason why it wouldn't be an effective way to restore the cosmetic appearance of a bike... thoughts?

Wrap is a nightmare even on items where you have somewhere to hide joints. You can get a good effect on big panels but something like fork blades - tubular with compound curves - it'd need somebody really skilled.

Last edited:
Back