PDM Concorde Team Issue

Touching up finished...not perfect, but it'll do. The metallic black/anthracite was a nightmare to match.

Haven't managed to get what I need for the build I want, so I'll build it to put on the road and keep looking for the extra bits, although the biggest problem I have is that I'm not 100% sure what final build I do actually want!

In the short term it will be:

Bars: 3T Competitzione
Stem: 3T "Concorde" pantographed
Seatpost: TBC
Brake levers: Campag Athena (period)
Brakes: Chorus monoplaner (1st generation and period-ish)
Shifters: Record 9 speed downtube
Drivetrain: Centaur Compact 9 speed (all silver)
Wheels: Undecided... I have a selection available, mostly new but period in appearance.

Waiting in the wings are a 1st gen Chorus chainset and front mech, a mid 90's Record chainset, and a mid 90's Chorus front mech.

I'd love to go period and standard chainset, but I'd have to move house to somewhere flatter to be able to enjoy it fully. A 9 speed 39-28 bottom gear would be my preferred minimum.

I would also prefer to stay with 9 speed from a simplicity of parts persepective as I ave a couple of 9's and several 10's.

All thoughts welcome!

Any donations/offers of decent kit to sort out my quandary gratefully received.

Build started...

Headset, bottom bracket, downtube shifters, brakes and stem fitted.

Still need to get the glue off the shift levers having removed the rubber covers (they are converted bar-end levers)

IMAG0810_zpst3ytofwy.jpg

The brakes are 1st generation Chorus monoplaners which were (as a type) used by the PDM team, so chuffed with that score. I'm even happier with how they look... I think they are even prettier than Deltas!

IMAG0812_zpsxp1ybq3k.jpg

i'm Soooo looking forward to getting this on the road although the components fitted are unlikely to make it 100% "right".

As much as I would love the look, an 8 speed bike with high gearing isn't something I could fully enjoy riding without having to plan my route.. My target is 9 speed at the back with a 28 cassette and then I can run period with everything else without it looking too incongruous.

Finding the right rear mech is a challenge.Decent Campag parts are not cheap... "right" or otherwise!

kingbling":ckmcrwcj said:
you can run 28 x 39 in 8 speed surely ?

I would think so, but I'd need an 8 speed index ring for the shifters on top of the rear mech and chain.

It's do-able but all my existing drivetrain spares are 9 or 10 speed.

However, do 8 speed cassettes fit on 9/10 speed freehubs? If it means new hubs, it's a non starter. I've spent enough already!

Re:

Do-able? Yes...Technically.

Apparently, dropping a cog from a 9 speed cassette and using a set of Wheels Mfg. Shift-8 spacers allows 8 speed on current Campag hubs.

Can't find the spacers available to buy anywhere though. :(

They've apparently been discontinued, so I think I'll crack on with plan A.

Okay... 9 speed Centaur compact drivetrain off the Bianchi and currently soaking in cleaner as some numpty obviously didn't bother wiping excess lube off the chain after the last lube.

Result...Lots of sticky black clag.

IMAG0825_zpsg5gelwxf.jpg

Re:

If I put any cycle parts in the sink I think my wife would quite possibly slit my throat.

That said, I don't need to as I have a parts washer in the garage that the leasing company.....erm forgot about. :mrgreen:

Smart looking running gear, it's going to look great on the bike.

It's my sink. Wifie's opinion unimportant :p

Much shinier now. OCD sated.

IMAG0826_zpskmh2y7wp.jpg

Steamer out next. Need to clean the glue off the shift levers and give the brake levers a blast out.

Back