PDM Concorde Team Issue

Little Al":2hxt82s9 said:
Are there 2 letters stamped separately near the frame # the PDM team issue often had the initials of the rider along with the frame# if not it could be for either of 2 reasons & still be a team frame. 1. IIRC it didn't get done every season. 2. the spare bikes often didn' t get stamped .Also there is a possibility that it's CIOCC built as I know that one season I spannered for them the team frames came from CIOCCin which case it may/may not ave the letters

There are no letters stamped into the BB other than the frame number (low 700's). Interestingly, my non-team issue Gavina doesn't have a frame number, instead it has the tubing type and size, which seems to be the standard for '80's consumer-level bikes.

I would guess its a spare bike rather than a primary.

Strangely, it has a 116mm Athena axle (70-SSG) and a Chorus headset rather than Record, although obviously these could be later additions.

jackosbournesnr":1l70zup4 said:
Little Al":1l70zup4 said:
Are there 2 letters stamped separately near the frame # the PDM team issue often had the initials of the rider along with the frame# if not it could be for either of 2 reasons & still be a team frame. 1. IIRC it didn't get done every season. 2. the spare bikes often didn' t get stamped .Also there is a possibility that it's CIOCC built as I know that one season I spannered for them the team frames came from CIOCCin which case it may/may not ave the letters

There are no letters stamped into the BB other than the frame number (low 700's). Interestingly, my non-team issue Gavina doesn't have a frame number, instead it has the tubing type and size, which seems to be the standard for '80's consumer-level bikes.

I would guess its a spare bike rather than a primary.

Strangely, it has a 116mm Athena axle (70-SSG) and a Chorus headset rather than Record, although obviously these could be later additions.
With lower quality kit fitted if original it was more than likely a frame issued to be made up into a bike for a stagiaire as they did that for them, & also if they had a development squad their bikes would be fitted out with lower grade kit or if a new range of top kit had been introduced the lesser riders had the previous top or lower grade group sets & kit. Depended a lot on that seasons budget, some of the lower ranked team riders spare bikes had lower grade kit on them as did a number of winter training bikes.

Very nice machine machine. Had a Squadra and it was definitely one of the nicest riding machines. It was a PDM TSX tubed C Record, Cabolto brakes etc. Nice.
Yours is a great find. Build, ride and enjoy :)

Jamie

If you don't want to damage the paint and not fussed about keeping the BB drill two holes opposite each other put bolts through them and use a long bar between the bolts to shift it.

Or if you have an electric hob put the cup on the ring and keeping the rest of the frame up off the cooker no damage to paint 20mins half hour should do the job.

Re:

I have used a soldering iron on a bottom bracket, works a treat - heat the bottom bracket for 15 minutes, the expansion is just enough to loosen the cups.

Pat

kingbling":r4d7qs5y said:
Or if you have an electric hob put the cup on the ring and keeping the rest of the frame up off the cooker no damage to paint 20mins half hour should do the job.

That's a new one on me.

I have an induction hob....way too risky putting a bike frame on that. Not only would the wife go mental if I scratched it, I would too. If I scratched the hob, it would be even worse!

I'm now doubting myself...Its a steel cup in a steel frame so is heat actually going to do anything?

I have a proper BB tool on the way as none of the spanners or wrenches I have were a close enough fit and always slipped. The adjustables loosened off and the pump wrenches I have didn't have properly parallel jaws (obviously cheap crap).

Nor could I get any of them clamped to the cup as none have flat enough profiles - the biggest washers I have are 40mm so its marginal.

Its been soaking in oil all week so the plan now is to clamp the tool to the cup and try tapping it then, if that fails, horsing it into a makeshift vice and turning the frame.

Back