New tool day

rmwesley

Retro Guru
Picked this freewheel vice up for under £20 which I thought was pretty reasonable. It also works!

It can be bolted direct to a workbench, but I think I'll fix it to a block of metal / wood so I can hold it in a vice.

20240418_170226.jpg

20240418_171136.jpg

20240418_172301.jpg

20240418_172306.jpg

Nice bit of pro kit that looks well made 👍

I would suspect you may have the bolts the wrong way, and are protruding upwards too much which would foul the chain whip throw / access.

You can re-purpose a bench vice by removing the jaws. screwing in some angle iron with four very flat head coach bolts to grip the largest sprocket and hold it flat. The old dirty trick is some waste chain around the largest sprocket and the two loose ends of the chain just jammed and taught in a bench vice.

Woz, where have you been?
The site is turning to drivel ;) both you and the big cheese awol. It's been messing with my brain

• Haha
Reactions: Woz
Woz, where have you been?
The site is turning to drivel ;) both you and the big cheese awol. It's been messing with my brain

Oh la la. Funny comment because I'm guilty as charged with adding drivel to this place. ;)

Absolutely, where is @legrandefromage ? Was thinking about this too and miss his wrenching, knowledge share, and of course humour.

There is also the BTL-122 from BBB tools that seems proven in the real world and can provide some inspiration for a homemade gizmo.

1713475916439.png

I would suspect you may have the bolts the wrong way, and are protruding upwards too much which would foul the chain whip throw / access.
I think they are intended to be that way up since the square head of the coach bolt fits exactly into the slot on the underside of the plate. You also get some fat washers to hold the plate just proud of the surface you are bolting it to, to accommodate the coach bolt heads. However, that said, you are exactly correct... they do get in the way a little bit for removing that last sprocket. For the smaller sprockets, a Unior 1670/2BI is recommend, but a chain whip doesn't really get in the way.

Reactions: Woz
Back