Peugeot A08 quick makeover with a trip down memory lane

Mark Manley

Raleigh Fan
Back in the long hot summer of 1976 I had saved up enough to trade in my 5 speed Viscount Sebring for a bright yellow Peugeot which I think came from Partridge Cycles in Exeter, it ticked all the boxes including 10 gears, drop bars and centre pull brakes, everything a teenager could ask for. I am not exactly sure what model it was but from memory was an AO8 and for the past couple of years I have had an eye out for one in the right size, I have also been buying suitable upgraded parts as it is an entry level model with heavy an often rusty steel components.
One came up for a very reasonable price not too far away on marketplace so after a day out on the train to the New Forest it was home, I was able to ride it but would not want to go too far as it was so an overhaul was called for.

IMG_3701 - Copy.JPG

IMG_3703 - Copy.JPG

I do like the clean uncluttered look of a single speed but with the hills around here they are about as much use as a chocolate teapot, I have not let that stop me giving it a go although there is a freewheel and derailleur on standby if it proves too much like hard work but with a 24 tooth freewheel and 40 tooth chainring I should be able to go somewhere without too much pushing.
I have replaced the original parts with mostly SR and Weinmann which I find work well for a reasonable price, the flat bars which I believe are mandatory on a single speed are modified SR drops and the crankset is a Peugeot branded Stronglight. It has lost some weight and has gone from 14.3 kg to 11.3 which feels better.
It has taken me around the block and the gearing works, time will tell if I get the urge to get the correct decals and respray it yellow but this will do for the time being, now the sun is shining it is time to get out and ride.

IMG_3708 - Copy.JPG

Back