Boy, do I like well-designed and well-made tools ...

2manyoranges

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Time to take the chain ring off the XT 8100 cranks I have just bought. Needs a special tool, which I bought from RISK last week. Worried about it, since cranks live an awful life, and these are Very Well Used. I spray some releasing fluid on whilst I ferret around.

I reach into the tool trays for my Bahco 32mm adjustable wrench. Forty years old. Feels great in the hand. Functions perfectly, as the day it was bought, despite all the heavy work it has done.

I reach into the top tray (special tools area) and bring out the new RISK tool. It fits perfectly around the crank axle, and has two thick rubber seals to hold it flush against the lock ring. Excellent design. You can then use an adjustable or a BB spanner to release the locking ring. Eight British Pounds for it.

Line up the crank arm and the Bahco so that I can pull the two together by closing both fist (a trick an engineer taught me 30 years ago) and to my surprise the ring just eases slightly and it then comes off nicely, turny turn. No slipping, no jarring, just lovely.

I really do like well designed tools.

Last edited:
Back