New guy, old bike

I took her out for a short ride last Saturday, she rode like a dream apart from the frazzled brake blocks performance. That was to be expected though. The nose of the saddle needs to be dropped a tad, otherwise I was happy with the riding position. I got home in one piece which bodes well for future rides.

I’ve got some Weinmann type blocks stashed somewhere, so once they have been dug out I will get them fitted and sort the saddle out. I’ll try to get a few more miles in this weekend too.

I made time and stripped, cleaned, lightly greased and rebuilt the Arabesque shifters, ready for fitting later on. The front and rear mech’s will get the same treatment nearer the time.

I took her out for a short ride last Saturday, she rode like a dream apart from the frazzled brake blocks performance. That was to be expected though. The nose of the saddle needs to be dropped a tad, otherwise I was happy with the riding position. I got home in one piece which bodes well for future rides.

I’ve got some Weinmann type blocks stashed somewhere, so once they have been dug out I will get them fitted and sort the saddle out. I’ll try to get a few more miles in this weekend too.

I made time and stripped, cleaned, lightly greased and rebuilt the Arabesque shifters, ready for fitting later on. The front and rear mech’s will get the same treatment nearer the time.
Good to hear. Kool stop pads will be a night and day upgrade.

This evening I thought I’d strip, clean and reassemble the Arabesque front mech. That didn’t take long and it went smoothly enough, it looks better for it so well worth the effort. So I thought why not do the rear mech too, what a bloody ball ache that turned out to be. The strip down and cleaning was a doddle, the fun started with the reassembly. Long story short, I had to persuade the tab that keeps the mount and body spring tensioned back into shape to prevent it from slipping over the other tab. I got it sorted and it cleaned up pretty well too.

The gear set is now ready to rock and roll. I now have to dig out the chainset and bottom bracket I know is hiding in the garage somewhere.

I’ve ordered some bar tape ready for when the levers are swapped out, nothing fancy, I went for Deda but wished I’d gone for the perforated now. I bought black.

I think I’d like some hoods for the 600 levers, so do any of you guys know which Dia-Compe hoods fit the 600’s better, the 202/204 hoods or the 165 hoods? Listings for both mention they work with the 600’s but one must be a better fit, anybody tried both and have an opinion on it?

Thanks

I guess you guys like pics, so here’s a few of the gear set and levers. Not perfect but clean enough and usable. The alloy parts might get a very light polish, just to brighten them up a little.

Attachments

• IMG_1265.jpeg
    IMG_1265.jpeg
    415.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1266.jpeg
    IMG_1266.jpeg
    345.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1267.jpeg
    IMG_1267.jpeg
    431.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1268.jpeg
    IMG_1268.jpeg