Vintage Falcon road bike in almost original condition

Yes, on the hubs that's week number and year. By the time I worked for Falcon (1980 or 81, so long ago that I can't remember) I don't think the model existed - I certainly never saw that head badge and the tyres are new to me too, never saw them in the factory or on the bikes that passed through the shops I worked in either before or after my ill-considered stint in the manufacturing side of the business.
If you worked at the factory you must have been based in N.Lincs/S.Humberside. My first racing bike, a gold-coloured 5-speed Falcon came from Lingard's bike shop in Scunthorpe in 1980

Yes, on the hubs that's week number and year. By the time I worked for Falcon (1980 or 81, so long ago that I can't remember) I don't think the model existed - I certainly never saw that head badge and the tyres are new to me too, never saw them in the factory or on the bikes that passed through the shops I worked in either before or after my ill-considered stint in the manufacturing side of the business.
So that's a double confirmation of 1978.

From my research both the Tempo and the Panther were last listed in 1980 and were absent in the 5th January 1981 price list. On a price list dated 25 June 1980, both were shown as being gold and were £109.95 and £115.95 respectively. By the 15th September 1980 price list they had risen to £117.95.

Nice find! 👍

The frame resembles the frames that Miki built for Union in Holland: the Union Sakai. Not a high end frame, but the build and paint quality is exceptionally good.

Union Sakai.jpg

There is some discussion among the experts about the third digit of the serial number: month or fortnight? If the "J" represents the build month, it could also well be a 1979 MY frame.

Details matter! ;)

There is some discussion among the experts about the third digit of the serial number: month or fortnight? If the "J" represents the build month, it could also well be a 1979 MY frame.

Details matter! ;)
Hi non-fixie, what exactly does that mean please? I don't understand.

Hi non-fixie, what exactly does that mean please? I don't understand.

Some good folks have taken it upon themselves to learn how to decipher Japanese serial numbers. They are usually semi-significant, i.e. the first few digits often represent the maker and the build period, the rest is just a serial number.

In this case the serial number is M8Jxxxxx: the M is for Miki, the 8 for a year ending in 8 (in this case I believe that would be 197:cool: (edit: I was outsmarted by the editor. That was supposed to be 1978 ) and the J for either the 10th fortnight (May 15-31) or the 10th month of that year. October is late enough in the year that they would have been producing frames for the 1979 model year.

Some good folks have taken it upon themselves to learn how to decipher Japanese serial numbers. They are usually semi-significant, i.e. the first few digits often represent the maker and the build period, the rest is just a serial number.

In this case the serial number is M8Jxxxxx: the M is for Miki, the 8 for a year ending in 8 (in this case I believe that would be 197:cool: (edit: I was outsmarted by the editor. That was supposed to be 1978 ) and the J for either the 10th fortnight (May 15-31) or the 10th month of that year. October is late enough in the year that they would have been producing frames for the 1979 model year.
Thanks Non-fixie for that. When asked to date a bike I usually go by the frame manufacture date as (if you can work it out) it is the only certainty. For example a japanese made frame will take 6 weeks or so sea journey to the UK and then time delivering to the bike manufacturer. Whilst building the bike is fairly quick, it will then be sent out to the retailer who may have it on show for some time. So date of sale, while really interesting if it can be authenticated with a copy of the dated sales receipt, could easily be three months or so after the frame was made.

That's why I stick to frame date if I can.

Back