New guy, old bike

Seeing as the bike is quite road worthy, I might not get into the changes until the spring. So the new plan is just a clean then back on the road for a few gentle rides. I will try to get some pics if that is the case.

Good plan! It'll help you find out what the bike really needs. One thing you might want to do beforehand though, is position the brake levers a bit higher up on the bars. Looks like the auxilary levers will bottom out a little too quickly the way they are currently positioned. Half an inch or so should probably suffice.

Thanks guys, I’m not too happy with the lever positioning either, I think I’ll live with it for now. I don’t want get into messing up my first bar tape fitting just yet 🤣 Can I not just remove the unwanted lever and use as is, probably leaving an ugly boss in place though?

Today I have purchased the replacement levers for when the swap outs happen.

The single guides I’ve seen all seem to be right sided, so I presume they are just for the rear mech on a 5 or 6 speed bike? So am I going to need the cool looking double as pictured? The frame does have cable stops on the down tube so I was hoping I wouldn’t need to use a guide.

Attachments

• IMG_1150.jpeg
    IMG_1150.jpeg
    39.9 KB · Views: 1
Does it have stops on the left side of the down tube as well? If so you won't need the above.

First pic you posted is for a bare cable front mech. Second pic is for a front mech that has an outer cable stop built in, pic below shows the built in stop. Can we see a pic of the down tube nearest the bottom bracket on both sides please?
IMG-20220107-182955-zoom-4279447243.jpg

Thanks for your reply and the info. Yes, the down tube has stops on both sides. I’ll get some pics up tomorrow evening, here’s one of the drive side from the listing pics for now. The left side stop is in the same position.

Thanks again

Attachments

• IMG_1089.jpeg
    IMG_1089.jpeg
    21.1 KB · Views: 4
Thanks for your reply and the info. Yes, the down tube has stops on both sides. I’ll get some pics up tomorrow evening, here’s one of the drive side from the listing pics for now. The left side stop is in the same position.

Thanks again
You won't need guides, just outer cable. You will need a front mech with an outer cable stop though. Yes you can remove the secondary lever, it will leave a stub sticking out. Check for a small spring in the hole, often lost. You will need to adjust your brake cables after.

That’s good to know, thanks. This was an additional image the seller of my derailleur set sent me, the quality isn’t great but It looks like a cable stop in the area I’ve ringed in red. Please tell me that’s a cable stop 🤣

Attachments

• IMG_1152.jpeg
    IMG_1152.jpeg
    98.5 KB · Views: 6
🤣 what a relief. This is exactly why I decided to join the forum, I’ve been building BMX bikes and it’s been quite some time since I’ve ridden or worked on anything geared. I will most likely be needing more help in the future too.

Back