New guy, old bike

Tobias Rodriguez

Dirt Disciple
Hello,

I’m a new member and this is my first post/thread. I purchased a bike on eBay listed as a 60’s Rory O’Brien DB Special Tourer. You might have seen it yourselves. I’m yet to collect the bike and see what’s what. The seller couldn’t tell me which dropouts the frame has and from my limited research the lugs look more like Claud Butler rather than O’Brien. I know it’s not a fancy lugged model but I like the look of the bike as a starting point. I guess I’ll get schooled by you guys regarding my purchase. This is supposed to be a way of me easing myself back onto a road bike in the Spring.

The plan over time is to replace the safety levers and rear derailleur. I’ll probably add a front derailleur at some point.I’m not too keen on the brakes either so they might get swapped out too. The dynamo light set might be removed.

I have a Shimano 660 Arabesque crankset and was thinking of running the rest of the group set on the bike. Opinions on the proposed changes or other ideas of the direction I could be going in will be gladly received. Im trying to do everything on a budget.

Here’s the listing pics.

Thanks for reading

Attachments

• IMG_1076.jpeg
    IMG_1076.jpeg
    190.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1082.jpeg
    IMG_1082.jpeg
    218.4 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1083.jpeg
    IMG_1083.jpeg
    225.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1085.jpeg
    IMG_1085.jpeg
    181.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1087.jpeg
    IMG_1087.jpeg
    212.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1089.jpeg
    IMG_1089.jpeg
    127 KB · Views: 56
Thank you. It is supposed to be original paint and decals. I wouldn’t be surprised if it has had a previous restoration in the past. The seller said it has been hanging on a wall for quite some time. A family friend in the know seems to think that late 60’s early 70’s looks about right for this. Let’s hope it checks out.

Thank you. It is supposed to be original paint and decals. I wouldn’t be surprised if it has had a previous restoration in the past. The seller said it has been hanging on a wall for quite some time. A family friend in the know seems to think that late 60’s early 70’s looks about right for this. Let’s hope it checks out.
As everyone has said, lovely machine.
Agree that the only thing I’d likely do (other than just ride it as is) is swap in a period drivetrain to give the gearing a bit more range (but only because I’m old lol)
Matching guards are a great look as well.

Thanks for the welcome and comments. It’s good to know that it is a decent machine and well regarded. I might have bought wisely for once!

I agree, it doesn’t need too much to get it where it should be spec wise.

I too have a connection to the area. I was born and lived in Leytonstone until about 9 years ago. I now live in Romford and I work in Manor Park, so as you know, both of the shop locations.

Back