1976 Sid Mottram project

Thanks - I did have a quick scout around to see what was available hood wise after your comment. I wasn’t sure which colour hoods would suit - I’m thinking avoid white as I can’t be chored to try and keep them clean. Brown might not match the bar tape (which is already a slightly different shade to the Brooks), so black? Not sure, I’ll think on it, does it look terrible without? There weren’t any before.. let me know what you think.
View attachment 820594
I know I was hoping the next post would be after riding it properly but my eBay seller who has the shifters is a bit slow to dispatch.. Next weekend maybe?
In the meantime I’ve fitted up this gorgeous Suntour close ratio five speed freewheel as the rear mech didn’t think much of the low gear on the six speed one. This may change if I shell out for a record rear mech in the future. But for now it looks (and sounds) very nice indeed.. :)
View attachment 820595
Yes the levers would have had hoods - I think on this model they were the unusual “half hoods” as seen in the link below, but you might find some compatable “full hoods” easier to find -

Thanks for posting up that link, I did see a thread on Velo Orange about Mafac half hoods but wasn’t sure if mine were those or not. I’ll leave it as is for now I think, I like the Rustines full hoods but I can only find white atm and £30 odd I’m in no rush just now for those.

Thanks for posting up that link, I did see a thread on Velo Orange about Mafac half hoods but wasn’t sure if mine were those or not. I’ll leave it as is for now I think, I like the Rustines full hoods but I can only find white atm and £30 odd I’m in no rush just now for those.
I agree - it’s down to the finer points to be honest and won’t make that much difference - it’s a lovely bike! 👍

Last few bits showed up yesterday and today so it’s (nearly) done, just waiting on some nice vintage Atom pedals, fully rideable with a whole 10 gears.
IMG_3493.jpeg
Thanks for the tip @Guinessisgoodforyou - you were 100% right about the rear mech, I managed to get a Nuovo Record rear mech via eBay (who needs 2 kidneys?) and it sits on there just right. The Valentino Extra was sat in my spares and while it’s cool and funky looking the bike deserves that last bit of bling.
IMG_3494.jpeg IMG_3495.jpeg IMG_3496.jpeg IMG_3497.jpeg
It rides really nicely, feels very light and crisp buzzing along but the steel frame still smoothes out the crappy road surfaces to a degree. A very nice thing. Reminds me of my old Holdsworth Elan from 1984 which I sold on as it was too small.
The Mavic MA40’s look the part on it too, so I’m glad they ended up on the right bike too.
Dead happy with this, turned around pretty fast and just in time for some spring road rides, it can share duties with my Claud Butler which is just that little bit ‘softer’ and fractionally more comfortable.
Happy days.

Thanks for the positive comments, I’d be lying if I said that I’m not sneaking out to the workshop for a peak at it every now and then..! ;)
Here’s a pic of the Atom pedals which went straight on as soon as they arrived. Lovely condition and I do like a ‘rat trap’ style pedal.
IMG_3538.jpeg
I can’t decide if it’d look better with some tan wall tyres in 25 or 28mm width instead of the 20mm Michelins. I might try some on it and see how it looks, but otherwise it’s finished now and I’m very happy with it.

Thanks for the positive comments, I’d be lying if I said that I’m not sneaking out to the workshop for a peak at it every now and then..! ;)
Here’s a pic of the Atom pedals which went straight on as soon as they arrived. Lovely condition and I do like a ‘rat trap’ style pedal.
View attachment 823703
I can’t decide if it’d look better with some tan wall tyres in 25 or 28mm width instead of the 20mm Michelins. I might try some on it and see how it looks, but otherwise it’s finished now and I’m very happy with it.
A very handsome bike. Personally I would go for 28mm tan/amber wall if they'll fit.

For extra added 70's realism, screw the rear dropout adjusters as far in as possible, including removing the knurled knob so the screw is inside the dropout

Then the wheel will sit very precariously on the very entrance of the front of the dropout.

This reduces the wheelbase and makes it much faster :)

Ask me how I know lol

Back