My Marin Hawk Hill's - 1999 and 2003

dont worry, thats cool! shiny shiny! It looks like its from the same time frame as my silver one?

Took the new one out for a solo blast 'stress test' at the weekend, no hills involved, but did 15 miles, six of that was sand.
Hopefully my mates other half lets him out next Sunday so I can take it up to the Quantocks (which are the hills in the right hand side of the lighthouse picture) :)

15132563249_179bc3e90b_c.jpg

15132607470_d68d19b02f_c.jpg

Re:

believe me it looks better in the pics than real life. the frame is pretty damn pitted but for the money I don't really care to be honest. A bike should be ridden, not just looked at. She was never going to replace my muirwoods, it just needed a friend (and then I go and buy a palisades trail as well :roll: )

I think it's around a 1999 so yeah pretty much same time as yours.

Canopy":1j93bthp said:
'03 is coming along nicely, have all the parts now in hand apart from the seat post clamp and the rear wheel which is out for repair. have picked up lots of bits new, at carboots and on ebay.. pics when its done

build cost so far..

£30 frame including handle bars and disc calipers
£10 set of 26" wheels with discs (car boot!) (came with no tyres or tubes)

£10 new set of all handle grips (cycle surgery)
£10 2x inner tubes (plus got one spare free) (cycle surgery)
£10 new chain and all new cables (ebay for chain, cables LBS and asda!)
£15 nearly new WTB seat (ebay)
£10 various missing bits like cable guides & clamps, seat post (which was 50p!) (local bike charity for post, cycle surgery and ebay for rest)
£6 pair of almost new tyres (car boot)
free - set of old stx rc shifters that look amost new i found amongst stuff at my parents (couldnt find the brand new, unused titanium flite seat i had though :( :()

total cost so far roughly £100

plus £25 (estimated) cost to remove freewheel i couldnt get off, and fit new axle+rebuild hub

Update.. Just flogged the silver one (for 120 quid!) as I pretty much stopped using it once the other was done.

The blue one has an LX rear mech now, and 160mm Marzocchi TST2 Bombers (air) as the other forks when squeeky and werent servicable (axle nut kept going round)

extra expenditure:

another 50 quid on the forks..
plus 15 quid on some Conspiracy VP 458A double cage pedals,. you won't get me near SPDs.. went for a ride with two people evangalising "Silly Pedal Design." - both fell off because of them multiple times, the other two of us without SPDs didn't :D

£190 approx total spend so far :)

(also got a workshop stand, better clothing, and some tools.. but that doesn't count as this bike)

I've had a bunch of good rides on it. only trouble i'm having is riding buddies are people are either too busy, or recovering from unrelated operations! there are certain rides i don't think i should do solo style

Re:

I do like a budget build. Recycled Carrera was also born of dabbling with discs....my V braked bike went the same way as yours but in bits. I swapped my original cable discs for Shimano Acera hydraulics from CRC at £32...well worth it!

Good job, low budget is a challenge and very, very satisfying. :D

Back