1997 Marin Hawk Hill restomod - not one for the purists!

hawkhill97

Retro Guru
I'm lucky enough to still own my first ever MTB, a 1997 Marin Hawk Hill. It's been through various guises over the years...

As original - complete with terrible terrible RST 181 elastomer sprung fork, and (the shame) riser bars with bar ends
1699215111256.png

The RSTs were so bad I swapped them out for a rigid fork, which was a big improvement. Did a lot of riding on Exmoor & Dartmoor like this. The rest of the bike was still pretty much stock, running 7 speed STX with grip shifters.
1699215190221.png 1699215267536.png 1699215603049.png

When I got a more modern 2010 GT Avalanche, the Marin was retired for pub bike duties as a single speed... briefly! I didn't get on with SS, so popped the front mech back on and ran it as a two speed, with slick tyres, and flat bars. Was also a blast on tame MTB trails!
1699215849338.png 1699215921023.png 1699216034495.png

Later on, I put some proper knobbies back on, stuck on a slightly more modern STX-RC 8 speed drive train, and used it as a "stick in the car for a quick spin after work" bike.
1699216109550.png

So, me and the Marin have had some good times, but it's not really been getting ridden much recently. If the weather's decent, I'd rather take my modern (well - by RB standards!) fancy FS for a blast, and if the weathers terrible the vee brakes and tiny narrow bar / long stem feel really sketchy.

Essentially, I think I've been a bit spoiled by more modern bikes - this happened to anyone else?

But a plan has formed... if I could stick disc brakes and a short stem / wide bar cockpit on the Marin, it could make a brilliant winter bike, when the mud & slop is so bad it thoroughly puts me off taking my "best" bike out.

Thoughts so far...

- I'd want to keep a rigid fork, both for winter proof-ness and to stay somewhat true to the spirit of the bike.
- I'm not fit enough for a SS or even a 1x set-up. 3x8 should be robust enough to cope with constant mud though, and is at least cheap to replace bits when they wear out.
- A hub gear appeals, but doing a bit of reading seems like they may not be robust enough for intended use, and I might struggle to get a sufficiently low bottom gear.
- I've ordered a disc brake adapter for the rear, but am anticipating it may need a fair bit of fettling (ie hacksaw & file) to get it to fit around the drop outs
- A rear drum brake could be an alternative solution if I can't get the rear disc adapter to work
- I don't *think* the lack of a dropper post will be too limiting / frustrating, after all I'll be embracing the limitations of a rigid fork

I've got a knackered old Carrera Subway to pilfer for the disc fork, brakes & wheels, and have most of the other stuff I'd need in the parts bin (bar & stem and fresh cables should be about it).

Nice wee bike there, you have. If it were me I would keep it original, clean it up and put some nice tyres on and give it a full strip and rebuild and then use it as a bike to cruise around on, rather than a expecting it to please you, just put it out pasture on the pavment and parks/ light trails and enjoy it that way. It's what I'm going to do with my own build anyway! :)

It’s a Hawk Hill; a fantastic frame with a very low spec groupset. One - it will never be worth restoring. Two - all the more reason to restomod.

I did the same to a Hawk Hill earlier this year and I absolutely love it. It quickly became my favorite in the fleet. I suggest a set of Hollowtech II cranks and a 1x transmission. Simple, efficient, reliable, comfortable…my Hawk Hill beckons me to get back on and ride even after returning from an exhausting ride.

Modify it as though you were Victor Frankenstein.

Here’s some inspiration (not my video)

Last edited:
Nice wee bike there, you have. If it were me I would keep it original, clean it up and put some nice tyres on and give it a full strip and rebuild and then use it as a bike to cruise around on, rather than a expecting it to please you, just put it out pasture on the pavment and parks/ light trails and enjoy it that way. It's what I'm going to do with my own build anyway! :)
I've already got a 1993 Kona Fire Mountain that fills that niche perfectly (and it doesn't get ridden all that much!). If this experiment doesn't pan out, that's plan B though.

It’s a Hawk Hill; a fantastic frame with a very low spec groupset. One - it will never be worth restoring. Two - all the more reason to restomod.

I did the same to a Hawk Hill earlier this year and I absolutely love it. It quickly became my favorite in the fleet. I suggest a set of Hollowtech II cranks and a 1x transmission. Simple, efficient, reliable, comfortable…my Hawk Hill beckons me to get back on and ride even after returning from an exhausting ride.

Modify it as though you were Victor Frankenstein.

Here’s some inspiration
Love that build of yours - the BMX style bars look great on it. Very envious of your workshop too!

The fork off the junked Subway turned out to be an exact match for the axle to crown height at 420mm. Wouldn't have minded it a smidge higher to slacken the head angle just a touch, but at least I won't have to worry about the BB being raised up beyond what's sensible.

PXL_20231107_200038529.jpg

The crown race was thoroughly stuck, but fortunately was matched to the same caged bearings as the old fork, so slotted right in.

It fits a 2.5" Maxxis High Roller (real width about 2.3") which is perfect.

Getting disc brake installation was all nice and straightforward.

Planning on using these 780mm bars with a 60mm stem. I love this combo on my hardtail, and the geometry is fairly similar, so I reckon this should work. I'd prefer a silver stem to match the bars and seat post, but this is what I had in the spares bin so it'll do!

Gripshifters swapped for trigger shifter (right) and thumbie (left) - if you're going to make a Frankenbike you might as well go all in!

PXL_20231107_200104202.jpg

The rear disc adapter. I think all it needs is a bit of aluminium plate cut to add some height to the seat stay, and some washers to prevent the outer plate from bending when tightened down. In the worst case, the IS tabs may need filing to get the caliper alignment spot on.

I suspect getting it just so will take longer than it feels like it should, but it'll make a nice bit of rainy day fettling.

This is the aspect of the build I'm least confident of, really hope it can be made to work well.
PXL_20231107_200051416.jpg

Latest posts

Back