1997 Marin Hawk Hill restomod - not one for the purists!

The rear disc adapter. I think all it needs is a bit of aluminium plate cut to add some height to the seat stay, and some washers to prevent the outer plate from bending when tightened down. In the worst case, the IS tabs may need filing to get the caliper alignment spot on.

I suspect getting it just so will take longer than it feels like it should, but it'll make a nice bit of rainy day fettling.

This is the aspect of the build I'm least confident of, really hope it can be made to work well.
View attachment 794180
i did a rear disc brake conversion on an old 1998 handsome dog frame i had and i used the rear rack screw holes to help secure the adaptor plate.
i also had to cut it about quite abit to get it to fit the shape of the dropouts and to make it easier to remove the rear wheel.

i did a rear disc brake conversion on an old 1998 handsome dog frame i had and i used the rear rack screw holes to help secure the adaptor plate.
i also had to cut it about quite abit to get it to fit the shape of the dropouts and to make it easier to remove the rear wheel.

I was thinking of adding a bolt into the rear rack screw hole to stop the adapter from rotating at all (the seat stay will brace it against the braking force, but there's currently nothing but the friction of the clamping force to stop it from rotating back in the other direction - eg if reversing the bike with the rear brake on).

The adapter looks like a decent design, but I guess it's hard to make something that will work with all the different variations of drop out types.

I was thinking of adding a bolt into the rear rack screw hole to stop the adapter from rotating at all (the seat stay will brace it against the braking force, but there's currently nothing but the friction of the clamping force to stop it from rotating back in the other direction - eg if reversing the bike with the rear brake on).

The adapter looks like a decent design, but I guess it's hard to make something that will work with all the different variations of drop out types.
yep thats what i did.

i di another conversion on my commuter bike which is a Giant ATX830 world cup edition.
i was only able to put in one rack bolt as the other was in the wrong place so i had to wedge a bolt and glue it in place between the adaptor and the frame. it was abit of a bodge job but it does the trick.

Attachments

• brake aadaptor 3.jpg
    brake aadaptor 3.jpg
    577.8 KB · Views: 12
  • brake adaptor 1.jpg
    brake adaptor 1.jpg
    526.7 KB · Views: 12
  • brake adptor 2.jpg
    brake adptor 2.jpg
    575.9 KB · Views: 12
@geddy1972 cool thanks, that gives me a bit more confidence that it should be possible to get this to work well with a bit of patient fettling!
if you want i can get pictures of the other conversion i did. it was a much better job than the one i did on my Giant.

but i could only fit a 140mm disc on the back of my Handsome dog frame due to the shape of the chainstays.

if you want i can get pictures of the other conversion i did. it was a much better job than the one i did on my Giant.

but i could only fit a 140mm disc on the back of my Handsome dog frame due to the shape of the chainstays.
Some pics would be great thanks. Would be good to see how you handled the cutting / filing of the clamp plate.

Some pics would be great thanks. Would be good to see how you handled the cutting / filing of the clamp plate.
i will see what i can do.

the other frame is currently on a rack in the shed as its my baby and i have had it for about 25 years and dont have the heart to sell it or get rid of it.

it did take alot of measuring and cutting and filing to get it to fit.

but it wasnt that difficult to be honest just alot of trial and error.

Back