Sup’s Marin Hawk Hill Project

The final piece arrived today and she’s done! It’s so elegantly simple and rugged. My ugliest bike but favorite to ride. The steel frame is supple with great feedback. Fork is buttery smooth. The drive train is silent and simple with zero chainslap. My only complaints are that the brakes leave much to be desired and the rake on the headtube is like a 70’s chopper. I’m puttin’ lots of miles on this gal come summertime.

1994 Marin Hawk Hill
Manitou 4 with fresh Suspension Fork Parts elastomers
XT M770 crankset
CS-HG500 11-42 cassette
M786 XT clutch derailleur
M780 XT 10 speed shifter
Syncros Big Box wheels
Syncros stem
Kore Durox bars
Marin Lite cantilever brakes
AC fork brace
Titec seatpost
Syncros saddle
XT M739 brake levers
IMG_7980.jpeg IMG_7981.jpeg IMG_7982.jpeg IMG_7984.jpeg IMG_7985.jpeg

Last edited:
Awesome, looking to do something very similar with a Hawk Hill. Any chain line issues? Did you change the headset? What wheels did you use and why cantilever over v-brakes?

Awesome, looking to do something very similar with a Hawk Hill. Any chain line issues? Did you change the headset? What wheels did you use and why cantilever over v-brakes?
Saw your thread - by all means, go thru with the build.

I have no chain issues. The HG95 was selected because it is listed as a 10-speed chain. I have doubts that it may be counterfeit as it was $18, but I‘m unable to confirm. It‘s been shifting flawlessly over the 15 miles it‘s seen.

Hawk Hill implies a low grade groupset. A Ritchey Comp was installed to assure reliabily.

Wheels are Syncros Big Box. Again, something robust and reliable. OEM wheels were wide single wall Araya with a 6-speed cassette on Alivio hubs.

Cantilever brakes were selected for aesthetics. I love the look of ‘em.

Saw your thread - by all means, go thru with the build.

I have no chain issues. The HG95 was selected because it is listed as a 10-speed chain. I have doubts that it may be counterfeit as it was $18, but I‘m unable to confirm. It‘s been shifting flawlessly over the 15 miles it‘s seen.

Hawk Hill implies a low grade groupset. A Ritchey Comp was installed to assure reliabily.

Wheels are Syncros Big Box. Again, something robust and reliable. OEM wheels were wide single wall Araya with a 6-speed cassette on Alivio hubs.

Cantilever brakes were selected for aesthetics. I love the look of ‘em.
Cheers man, all good info. So no hanger extender needed? No spacers for the crank arms either?

Yeah Cantilever look sweet.

So no hanger extender needed? No spacers for the crank arms either?
Hanger extender is a maybe - if you use a 10-speed cassette it is likely. Watch some OldShovel videos on Youtube and you get a good feel for what you will need.

No spacers for the cranks, but possibly for the bottom bracket to get a good chain line.

The wife and I rode to the beach on Saturday, about 30 miles in total. The Hawk worked flawlessly. The 1x10 drivetrain is magnificent. No chain slap, fast shifts, silent…a little clacky in the shifter, but very accurate…I’m really considering converting our other bikes to 1x10. The steel frame feel really is a thing to behold. This has become my favorite bike in the fleet. I’m thinking it needs a blue headset and Magura rim brakes though.

IMG_8008.jpeg

Last edited:
Back