Sup’s Marin Hawk Hill Project

In the 90’s, aluminum frames were the higher end of the mtb spectrum, never steel, a sentiment that has stuck with me until recently.

Y’all here on Retrobike, and more seasoned riders, seem to gravitate toward steel. That seed planted in my brain (and a beautiful Manitou 4 that I need an excuse to install) has lead me to a $50 Marin Hawk Hill found on OfferUp. The previous owner used it to commute to work since it was new, even with the 6 speed cassette and horrendous Exage stamped steel derailleurs.

I know nothing about the bike’s lineage other than that the groupset is atrocious and the livery is damn sexy. Nonetheless, I yearn for the steel frame experience.

My intent is to build my usual Frankenstein bike (non-catalog spec) but keep with the general appearance of a retro. This one will have some sort of 1x drivetrain in the XT flavor with blue anno’d bits. Let’s see where this frame lands ol’ Sup….

IMG_7887.jpeg IMG_7888.jpeg

Last edited:
I picked up a Shimano XT M780 shifter today. For something from the XT line, it seems really hollow and plasticy. It clacks into gear positions like the old 90’s Altus and Suntour junk - not the subtle luxurious tick of my M095 or M738. Granted, this is the first component newer than 2005 I’ve ever laid hands on. Is it me or is the new stuff….crappy?

Parts are arriving and some assembly has began. Gotta take a trip to the shop tomorrow as I don’t have crank pullers or BB tools.
IMG_7898.jpeg IMG_7899.jpeg
The bottle cages are horribly low quality and destined to be returned.

IMG_7900.jpeg

The Manitou 4 was rebuilt with SuspensionForkParts elastomers a few months back. I found the AC fork brace in the local shop’s back shelves a few weeks ago. I couldn’t bear leaving such a lovely fork tucked away in the garage.

I’m not at all pleased with the headtube angle, but the blue looks fantastic. I narrowed the Kore Durox bars by 2cm on each side as they were uncomfortably wide. At first glance, she looks like an old Marin, but will have the comforts of a more modern trail bike.
IMG_7910.jpeg IMG_7911.jpeg IMG_7912.jpeg

Last edited:
A Syncros seatpost would have been preferred to match the wheels, stem, and seat. Unfortunately, no 27.0 Syncros posts are on the market right now.
The street tires are testament to ol’ Sup’s age. Knobbies are for riding far more aggressive terrain than my crusty old bones can handle.
IMG_7925.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks like going to be a nice build. Those levers are for v brakes, so the pull ratio will different for cantilevers, something like Tiagra levers give the option for both!

Looks like going to be a nice build. Those levers are for v brakes, so the pull ratio will different for cantilevers, something like Tiagra levers give the option for both!
Correct me if I am mistaken, the M738/9 models can be set up for either V or cantilever by shuffling spacers under the cable drum retainer
IMG_7926.jpeg

You may be correct, I always thought the spacers were to adjust the power and feel of the brakes.

Nearing completion -

The chain was cut and waxed this morning, followed by derailleur fine tuning.

It was a difficult choice between XT cantilevers or Marin Lite’s. For the Marin brake arms, the distance between the pivot and cable clamp is comparatively short as compared to the XT’s. Presumably, they will not offer and much clamping power; I think I can make up the leverage by keeping the hanger as close to the tire as possible and using a booster.

I‘m awaiting 1 brake arm with the correct pad retainer for the Marin Lite cantilevers. One of the 4 steel clamps received from an ebay seller was not tapered and does not hold the pad stud as it should. The downside to 30-year old parts is that bits get lost and improvised by shady mechanics.
IMG_7942.jpeg

The “patina” on this frame was retained…ordinarily I would strip and repaint a frame and place fresh decals. This one has plenty of wear that I thought would “embrace” it’s antiquity. I did dab some phosphoric acid on the rusty scars to convert it to iron phosphate and stop the cancer from growing. It will get a coat of polish/wax when the red oxide turns black.
IMG_7944.jpeg
IMG_7945.jpeg

In Cali most of the homeless are found on 26” wheels, which can make the retro-hobby uncomfortable at times. Apart from my decal fetish, these sick offerings from Craig Lambard at 2ndLifeBikes set “us” apart from tweakers on stolen bikes and are a concise announcement of a fellow hobbyist.
IMG_7946.jpeg

Last edited:
Back