Kona question

Re: Re:

Negawsklov":19d028wu said:
But isn't my wife's Fire Mountain (above) an 89 with P2's?

Sorry mate my bad :facepalm: , i slipped up as i meant to say 88 for the curved not 89 so yes your wifes Fire Mountain will be an 89 model especially with the rear brake being on the seat stays ,so any way i need to correct my other post ..

Re:

Ha ha cool, so is my Lava Dome a 90 as per original post or doesn't anyone other the Joe Murray have a clue lol...

Is JM or associate a member on here?

Re: Re:

Negawsklov":199ot5y5 said:
But isn't my wife's Fire Mountain (above) an 89 with P2's?

Speaking of years i see your wfes Fire Montain has got some modern parts fitted especially that saddle :shock: ..

Re:

Yeah but thats woman for ya, I put XT mechs on it and thumbies as they work better so less moaning, LX canti's and avid levers coz they were kicking about so we're the wheels with DX hubs... Better spec some would say :), but that saddle is atrocious but nothing at the min to replace it..... Oh and she nicked my USE post and Easton bars as 'she preferred them'

Right if your Lava Dome has got the plain paint finish even though the original is specified in orange and has the dia comp low pro cantis then i'd say it was the 1990 model ..

Yes that's just like a woman wanting the best stuff :facepalm: but yes most certainly better spec parts on their to say the least but they did tend to fit lower spec parts on Kona's compared to other bike Manufacturers which is a shame as generally speaking their a great design and just amazing rides as i love my Fire Mountain and the wifes 98 Lava Dome ..

Some of the 88 Konas had chainstay u-brake but it was only the first batches, not even a whole year. Same with the curved fork on the Fire Mountains; it wasn't for the whole year.

Although there could've been some crossover frames, the rear brake noodle, cantis and integrated seatpost clamp indicate 1990.

raidan73":1usm5avm said:
Some of the 88 Konas had chainstay u-brake but it was only the first batches, not even a whole year. Same with the curved fork on the Fire Mountains; it wasn't for the whole year.

Although there could've been some crossover frames, the rear brake noodle, cantis and integrated seatpost clamp indicate 1990.

It's no wonder finding relevant info is confusing with early Kona's so in theory what really help to confirm the years is frame number dates so thanks for the heads up raiden as that's very helpful ..

Kona frame numbers don't give any useful info unfortunately. It's all about recognising the details to narrow it down.

Latest posts

Back