1991 Kona Explosif question.

Lower end frames (non-Prestige) had a squashed seat tube at the base, so not the true bulge, but it was wider side to side.
My Fire Mountain had this feature, and was the same blue as the first picture.
Thanks Matt.
Added a few more pictures to show tube profile.
Would like to see the colour underneath the front mech - my purple Explosif has its original shade of deep purple under there
Cheers Steve.
Yeah. That would be an option to see if it's faded. I'll probably go and do that whilst the sun is shining....but I need to make sure it abandoned 1st.
It might be a non-UK colour option. It looks similar to the Fire Mountain Blue from 91 we had here in UK, meaning it could well be a genuine Kona colour just not UK catalogue spec. that we are used to seeing. Nice find, that would be in the boot of my car already.
Did think It could be something like that. We have a lot of Employees on site from all different countries... Europe and further afield. Could be that someone had bought this with them for transport and then abandoned it when they upgraded. I'd love to get this in the car too....but if it does belong to someone....I don't want to be accused of theft! A note has been added to it with a contact number.

Wez rushed back at lunch and took more pics to confirm the red one. S/N F91 13967
Not a Hot unfortunately but still an Explosif with the seat tube bulge being round and not oval.
Here's more pics of the red one.
View attachment 775728
View attachment 775729
View attachment 775730
View attachment 775731
Cheers
boy"O"boy

Yeah, that is definitely a Prestige frame too. Serial suggests a 91/92 model year. If paint is original then more than likely a '92 Pro, if repaint could easily be a '91. Assuming it has a brazed on seat clamp bolt, but an Explosif none the less :)

Thanks Mark.
Seat clamp bolt.
Yes. It's a repaint. Wez is top notch with paint so he'll likely strip and repaint the red one in a colour of his choosing. If we can get our hands on the blue one too....this would be kept original colour.
IMG-20230905-WA0002.jpg

Just to maybe blow out the theory it was brought over from another country. Is that not a Cycle Care in High Wycombe dealer sticker on the seat tube.

Just to maybe blow out the theory it was brought over from another country. Is that not a Cycle Care in High Wycombe dealer sticker on the seat tube.
Hadn't noticed that. Had my eye on the Tange Prestige decal instead!

That blows that theory! - it's definitely blue and not purple.

Cheers
boy"O"boy

@boy"O"boy did you find the owner?
@JCS No owner has come forward but it's become more complicated now that we have highlighted to security that it has been abandoned.

- It belongs to someone as it's locked up.
-If I choose to take it without the owners consent then the company I work for see that as theft from site.
-Theft from site constitutes gross misconduct which includes up to and including dismissal.

Essentially it's not worth risking my job for a very rusted Kona Explosif. It continues to rust away.

Cheers
boy"O"boy

Last edited:
Can't you leave a notice on the bike (with company's consent) along the lines of "the owner has 28 days to remove this bike or it will be disposed of"
Obviously no-one will take it as it is long forgotten. Surely it's a health and safety hazard too (that argument could be made anyway).

If it was an abandoned car, you could apply for ownership, then take it away once you've got the v5 I imagine any genuine po has a strong claim for repossession, although the car is now legally yours🤯
With an abandoned bike, there's almost nothing you can do.
If we get bikes left in the shop - when the repair bill exceeds the bike's value, and the owner can't be bothered to collect it, we can't sell it or even give it away without legal complexities, as it's still their property.
You need to get site security to remove it... and conveniently be wherever they remove it to once it's off the premises😅
There was someone on here selling a frame with the serial number ground off - hard to see how that's not stolen goods🤔
It's areminder weshould always check the serial number's not been removed. Legally speaking you probably need to hand it to the police - as if they'd want it🤣

Back