Disk Tensión Tioga & Sugino

Awesome work. There are some very, very talented people on this forum and you are right up there with them.
Thanks mate . This is the result of having broken several Tiogas Disks myself using them. And then try to fix them, trying different materials and joining systems.

I think that now, it is easier and faster for me to place the 41 meters of Kevlar rope than to assemble a wheel with steel spokes.
😂😂

And the most important thing for me is not to be afraid to go out into the mountains with a Tioga Disk and be able to enjoy them. If it breaks, now I know how to repair it.

The project I have in mind, I don't know if I will ever do it, will be to make a 29. The 26 sheets with 29 rims and 40 profile are perfect. I have also found a Shimano 142x12 or 135 QR centerlock hub, which could work. I have even thought about using Carbon thread instead of Kevlar thread. It has much more tensile strength 4300mpa (Kevlar 2880mpa).

But it could no longer be called Sugino or Tioga. Maybe “Suchino Disk” or “Chioga Disk”
IMG_2470.jpeg IMG_2471.jpeg IMG_2475.jpeg

Last edited:
I recently received a slightly rare rear Sugino to restore. 36h and dark. Same version as 846 but dark. Really beautiful .

The restoration promised to be simple. Disassemble, clean, reseal the sheets that were peeling off and apply new Sugino stickers.

But when I received the wheel, I noticed strange things. First of all, hub Hügi. Something strange . Furthermore, the fastening bolts were different on the left side, on the contrary, on the right side they were original bolts, but they did not seat well.

I look through the valve hole and find a black Hügi Hub (paint). IMG_2607.jpeg IMG_2609.jpeg IMG_2608.jpeg

Now is when the Surprise arrives. I remove the rim, and the first side (right)

I only need a screwdriver, they were all loose, practically without tightening.

I laugh so as not to cry. Who would do this?

IMG_2595.jpeg IMG_2596.jpeg IMG_2597.jpeg

The right was the same, the Hub modified. A real danger to drive with.

Fortunately there is nothing damaged on the Disk, you only need a compatible rear Hub.

As advice, before buying, carefully review the photographs, all the details.
This Sugino Disk was apparently great, but it hid dark secrets.

Back