Kona Cable Guide Stops

VIRIDESCENT

Dirt Disciple
Hello all!

I’ve a 2000 Kona Pahoehoe that has two cable guides on the top tube. Each guide has three allocations for housing, one of which is for the rear brake. The other two allocations on each guide have stops allowing for segmented housing routing, but the one for the rear brake does not have a stop as to allow for a hydraulic hose to be routed through it. I’ll be using v-brakes and would like to segment the housing - what specific products have some of you used? The diameter of the opening is ~6mm and I’ll be using 5mm brake housing.

I’ve come across alloy housing stops from Jagwire that’d fit the bill perfectly in theory, but I don’t know what their OD is and am unsure if they would fit. None of my local shops have them in stock (or anything similar for me to try/measure), I’ve also contacted Jagwire to no avail.

I’ve also come across some Thorn stepped ferrules from SJS, but I’m located in the US resulting in the cost of shipping for a rather inexpensive item to not be sensible. Surely there’s something available stateside.

I’ve seen photos of others’ builds with similar routing, just haven’t come across something I know will certainly work.

I’ll be using Avid/Sram Flak Jacket housings, so I’m not worried about exposed cables.

Simple issue to resolve, I just don’t want to mess around with buying and returning multiple products or have a local shop do the same.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

E

Jagwire alloy housing stops:
1705855031468.jpeg

Pahoehoe cable guides:
(Never mind my messy basement work area!)
1705857137161.jpeg
1705857218731.jpeg

Last edited:
Of course, there’s no reason why full length housing wouldn’t work. Personal preference really, aesthetically I think it’d look better and arguably there’s a performance aspect to it as well. Less housing, less to compress. Although in my experience the difference is typically imperceptible with quality housing. Thanks for the input!

Of course, there’s no reason why full length housing wouldn’t work. Personal preference really, aesthetically I think it’d look better and arguably there’s a performance aspect to it as well. Less housing, less to compress. Although in my experience the difference is typically imperceptible with quality housing. Thanks for the input!
Fair comments.

I always tend to use Jagwire compression stuff so yeah, barely perceptible I’d say.

Fair comments.

I always tend to use Jagwire compression stuff so yeah, barely perceptible I’d say.
I’ve used Jagwire housings in the past and have been happy with it. I came across NOS Flak Jacket shifter and brake housing/cable kits for cheap, so I figured I’d give them a shot. The housing seems to be of great quality, I look forward to see how it’ll perform. The red tubing covering the exposed cables is a nice touch too.

I had a bag of those Jagwire stops and they are HUGE. They might be too big for the cable guides on the Kona.

ProFlex stops or the re-pop Yeti stops may fit. (good info here from andym999: https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/andys-proflex-856.452006/page-2)

wadsy might have some of the ProFlex cable stops in his spares bin.
Good to know! Funny enough, I called a shop a bit away from me and they told me their catalog stated the Jagwire stops have a ~7.30mm outer diameter if I recall correctly. Far too large.

I checked out that thread - great information! Thanks for sharing!

Latest posts

Back