Exposed cable vs Fully housed

In the defense of exposed cables, I have noticed that there is less friction in the cable, so shifter feel is lighter than a full length outer.

On older stuff maybe, but with modern shifters there is much more leverage they feel so light anyway. Modern lined outers and coated inners are also a lot more friction free and more durable. Remember as a kid snapping gear cables all the time, yet can’t remember the last time I had to replace one. I’d much rather not have two open cable ends in the filthiest part of the whole bike under the chain stays or one of those moulded bb cable guides. Shimano ferrule sheaths helped but added just as much if not more friction as a full cable run.

Anyway, what you really need is electronic shifting. #AXS4life

(Logs out and runs for cover) 😉

On older stuff maybe, but with modern shifters there is much more leverage they feel so light anyway. Modern lined outers and coated inners are also a lot more friction free and more durable. Remember as a kid snapping gear cables all the time, yet can’t remember the last time I had to replace one. I’d much rather not have two open cable ends in the filthiest part of the whole bike under the chain stays or one of those moulded bb cable guides. Shimano ferrule sheaths helped but added just as much if not more friction as a full cable run.

Anyway, what you really need is electronic shifting. #AXS4life

(Logs out and runs for cover) 😉
I recently set up my 10 speed with friction shifters so I'm regressing into the bowels of supposedly obsolete tech. My setup is the equivalent of a good sharpened rock, yours is a chainsaw. I actually quite liked the idea of the electric universal shifting kit made by Archer, the d1x, but I wish it'd be possible to program custom cable pull to be able to use it with internal gear hubs as well as derailleurs.

I feel perverse.

but I wish it'd be possible to program custom cable pull to be able to use it with internal gear hubs as well as derailleurs.

I agree (not about internal gears, you’re right that is perverse) but about adjusting the virtual cable pull. The bikes I went AXS on I’d have been happy to keep 11 speed. Would be such an easy thing to change via the app but then they wouldn’t sell so many overpriced 12 speed cassettes. Still worth it though.

Back