Top tube cable guide/stop

Stanflashm4n

Devout Dirtbag
Not sure of the correct term for this but I wondered if anyone could suggest a clip on cable guide/stop type thing (or something that will do the job) for a frame that doesn’t have one. It’s a 1996/97? Specialized Hardrock gx sport and I want to put v brakes on it, it just has this little noodle guide. Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_7500.jpeg
    IMG_7500.jpeg
    380 KB · Views: 14
As you will bypass the noodle; you could also bypass the stop at the front of the top tube and run a full outer from lever to brake arm and use a couple of zip ties, or frame bag straps if you use one, to tie down the outer.

There are a few options I can think of, depends on how you want it to look.

1. Top tube clamp on cable stop turns your top tube into something more familiar to a v brake cable run. May not look amazing but will retain the frames originality as someone might want to go back to canti one day

2. Same as above really but a Kona dog collar style version which are usually much more svelte in looks.

3. An adaptor that clamps to your seat post clamp bolt and extends down to provide a floating cable guide.

4. Step down cable ferrule? What's the diameter of the current guide? Could you use a stepped cable ferrule with the thin end in the guide and then the other end into a short run if outer cable to your brake?

5. Similar to the above but wonder if a v brake noodle would work? Perhaps even use a short flexible one? I do have some twp things that they designed to replace the noodle, basically a fixed curve within a light bit of alloy for the inner cable.

6. Pulley roller like the noodle idea. Would get the cable out in a much better position for the run to the v brake.

I always just run a full length outer to the vbrake, though you will have to zip tie it to the frame as stated above.

+1 for Zip ties yes. Those clamps, like the problem solver, are quite nice and looks better though, but I suppose it depends on whether or not you want to spend money. I've recently started going full outer housing to everything with zip ties to keep stuff in place.

thanks for the ideas , I will decide if I want to spend any money on it or not. I built it out of bits I already had so maybe I should go for the cheap option seeing as I don’t know what I’m actually going to do with the bike…do v brakes work as well with the full outer housing route?

Attachments

• IMG_7502.jpeg
    IMG_7502.jpeg
    787.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7503.jpeg
    IMG_7503.jpeg
    540.1 KB · Views: 14
I used some plastic clips and zip ties from Amazon. I had to use a full length housing because the v-brake noodle was on the wrong side. Works great; brake returns with a snap.

I would start with full length housing zip tied on. You can initially protect your frames paint with some electrical tape. Use the bike for a while and if you need to move forward to a different solution you will have a better idea of what your needs will be at that point. Worst case in this scenario is you bought an extra bit of brake housing and may need to get a new brake cable in the future. In terms of function I think this will perform better than bolting a stop to your frame (that could crip tube or slide with force on the cable) or trying to use the existing noodle with a tighter curved v brake noodle. only downside I see is aesthetics.

Back