Steerer Cable hanger - looking for something fancy... options?

I'm thinking about moving away from V's on my SS to be able to use some Chicken Stix and up the "brit part count" on my Brit build. Would look for some boutique red cantis and (If I can find some) some brit manufactured straddle yokes. Performance will be infinitely worse, but this is about show, not about go (well, stop actually).

Trouble is I'm using an RC31 and it doesn't have a hole for a hanger for the cable run. I'd also need to flip the brake mounts over from each leg so the faced forward rather than backward. I'd need something to replace a stem spacer and allow cable routing.

This is fine, but all the ones I've seen look pretty average. Anyone know of anything boutique, lightweight and (hopefully) anodised red?
Ive been looking at options for my not blingy but canti braked '92 Clockwork build, ive no stem currently, ive looked at the hanger things instead of steerer spacer, still not sure I like it, current thinking is the impossible find of 1" girvin flexstem with noodle, in a short length..
I know they are marmite but I have bikes where the squidge would be an issue, but this is potter to the pub etc bike, not a race bike, and my bike pack bike has one, and its a positive in comfort, and looks retro. World is full of 1" 1/8" ones it seems..
I may be grateful I have seen the dia compe option, if they do them in the right size for threaded steerers... be interested to see what posh british canti bits this thread fills with, as at the time I used what I could find cheap etc, back in my teens which was all shimano lower half the groupsets.
I discovered dia compe on one bike and wont have anything else now, so much more powerful , easy to set up, aesthetics etc..
I think they did the Dia compe in red.. I love mine.

Ive been looking at options for my not blingy but canti braked '92 Clockwork build, ive no stem currently, ive looked at the hanger things instead of steerer spacer, still not sure I like it, current thinking is the impossible find of 1" girvin flexstem with noodle, in a short length..
I know they are marmite but I have bikes where the squidge would be an issue, but this is potter to the pub etc bike, not a race bike, and my bike pack bike has one, and its a positive in comfort, and looks retro. World is full of 1" 1/8" ones it seems..
I may be grateful I have seen the dia compe option, if they do them in the right size for threaded steerers... be interested to see what posh british canti bits this thread fills with, as at the time I used what I could find cheap etc, back in my teens which was all shimano lower half the groupsets.
I discovered dia compe on one bike and wont have anything else now, so much more powerful , easy to set up, aesthetics etc..
I think they did the Dia compe in red.. I love mine.

Be wary of the headset mounted hanger killing the fork threads over time. If its just for pottering it should be ok, but we used to see loads of forks or headsets killed by a headset hanger levering the top nut off.
Probably also involved careless headset adjustment though🤔 but it made me uneasy to ask the headset locknut to do 2 such different jobs

I hadn’t thought about the additional compression that the force of the brake would exert on the noodle. I’m using an aheadset so slightly different, but the principle applies.

This is an occasional (very) rider so not a huge consideration for me.

Red 987’s could look quite cool. Used them on a Proflex waaay back in the day and they really are good.

Ahead would be fine, although it might need a little more maintenance - it's the lifting force on the threaded locknut being taken by the fork threads, not what they were intended for.

Thankyou, yes saw it, got all excited, went and measured against ny other clockworks and its waayyyyy too long. Which is a bugger as Scant is sound, and its otherwise ideal, as I will want to paint the same pearl white as the bike. My Marin is more like 110.... Thankyou though appreciate the thouht and link.

You could buy this one, swap the extension with a right length 1&1/8 flexstem, then sell the 1&1/8" on with the 150 extension.
You might even make a profit!!

Back