knocked off my bike, help needed!

dav101

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
basically i'm looking for some advice on how to proceed with the situation i'm in. on thursday i was knocked off my bike at a cross roads by a driver who turned left without indicating. as we approached the corner i assumed he was going straight on, due to no indication, only to find my front wheel coming into contact with his passenger door and then falling into his rear passenger door then to the ground. after the incident he got out, admitted it was his fault, said he wasn't watching where he was going etc. just after this point a fella shouted across the road from his car " if you need a witness" then gave his address. i naturally assumed that he was talking to me, as the lad had admitted it his was fault. so, yesterday morning i go and see my solicitor to give them some information, car reg, driver name etc, including the address off the "witness", then at police station yesterday, friday, i go in to give them my side of the story as the lad had already reported it and given his. oh how shocked i was when i found out that the lad has given an absolute load of BS for his statement, saying he was turning right and that i went into the back of him!!! all this cock and bull backed up by the fella from the other car!!! straight away i thought he must know him, either that or hes in his pocket for a few quid! and i could tell by the attitude and tone of voice used by the PC that she thought i was the one spinning lies!!
i've attached two photos of the place where it happened, as you can see there is a lane for straight on and left, or a designated lane for turning right. we were both in the left lane. the "witness" was waiting to pull out of the junction, to the left, of which the lad was turning into.
as i've probably missed something out, any questions just fire away! and any advice on where i stand would be greatly appreciated, as from where i'm standing am up shit creek with a bad hip and two skinned forearms

thanks, dave

Attachments

• Untitled 2.png
    Untitled 2.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 464
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 464
legrandefromage":12nqykml said:
Your **** unless there's physical evidence on the side of his car rather than the back as he's now claiming

thats what i thought :/ according to the report he gave there isn't anything

A bit too late but you need insurance cover! I'm with the CTC and they will fight any such cases on your behalf.

http://www.ctc.org.uk/

http://www.ctc.org.uk/insurance

Also think about getting yourself a camera to fit on your helmet or bike, not that expensive these days.

Good luck mate and I hope it gets sorted and you win, though I have my doubts
as the Police always look up to the motorist and don't give a damn about cyclists.

Re: Re:

Iwasgoodonce":g709icas said:
you want to check if there are any CCTV cameras on that junction.
Yeh too right do enquire! Last year my Son got knocked off his bike and the driver
drove off and the Police checked the CCTV camera's and the accident could clearly
be seen and they followed the vehicle for some 19 miles until it went on roads were
there was no such camera's Police got the licence plate and the plates was fake!

Re:

That's a bummer and a half.
Check the existence of cameras. I find it hard tobelieve there won't be one or more at such a junction.
Maybe plod should ask the driver and "witness"if there's anything they'd like to add before they check for camera footage...
Good luck with this. I keep meaning to join the CTC but never quite get round to it.

Re:

if that's portrack lane there should be footage of that even from the shops ;
play hell with the police kick up some shit ;and see if the other blokes know each other.

If nothing can be PROVED on either side, then the Police won't be interested eventually, and neither will the insurance companies. Do you have any serious injuries? Were there any marks on his car? If either of these was the case, you would have been wise to take some mobile phone pics at the time. But just as you can't prove he drove into you, then he can't prove that you drove into him - one witness won't be enough for either Police or Insurance. If your injuries are minor I don't think the Police will be interested. He's just biting back at you to prevent you buggering up his no-claims discount.
If he's admitting there is no damage to the back of his car and you don't have any evidence of damage to the side of his car, and there is no CCTV, then your out of luck I think.
It sucks, but think you'll have to put it down to experience.

Back