Selling my 90s MTBs

Gen-Z are weak, have no humour and will go out in time as our dumbest generation.
No wonder as they were fed total bullshit over "social media" for a decade or more now.

It's not you, it's them.

Also, welcome and nice bikes.
That's the worst April fool I've read all day. Nil point.

Hi All

The Fast Show made me do it.

I took my son to see "An Evening with the Fast Show" last week, having told him how brilliant the Fast Show was. He sat for two hours without so much as a titter and he was angry with me afterwards for wasting his time. It was the most recent, and probably the last, time I had let him down, having promised him something brilliant.

I felt that I had let the boy down and, at that moment, I realised that some things are best left in the 90s and that includes mountain biking. So I am going to sell my bikes.

I have a Chas Roberts White Spider with lots of nice components and an Orange O2 with Rock Shox Judy Slaloms.

I plan to sell them on Ebay, because I don't know what they are worth. But any guidance about where to pitch them would be appreciated. I am in no rush to sell.

Thank you in advance.

Welcome, a couple of nice bikes you have there, should still ride as good as the day you got them.

Price wise it is hard to say for sure, the Roberts being custom made for yourself may limit the market compared to a standard sized one. As others have said, sadly always more value in things when parted out. The components have some nice items amongst them and would fetch £400+ on their own, the frame though nice, is not as desirable as a DB for example, if the paint is original, I assume you have original invoice/paperwork etc then around the £300 mark, again dependent on size condition etc. As a complete bike a bit less, realistically anywhere around the £500 mark. The £2k mentioned above is way off sadly, even for a DB that would be optimistic.

The Orange I have no idea on the market, probably worth as much whole as in parts though.

Welcome, a couple of nice bikes you have there, should still ride as good as the day you got them.

Price wise it is hard to say for sure, the Roberts being custom made for yourself may limit the market compared to a standard sized one. As others have said, sadly always more value in things when parted out. The components have some nice items amongst them and would fetch £400+ on their own, the frame though nice, is not as desirable as a DB for example, if the paint is original, I assume you have original invoice/paperwork etc then around the £300 mark, again dependent on size condition etc. As a complete bike a bit less, realistically anywhere around the £500 mark. The £2k mentioned above is way off sadly, even for a DB that would be optimistic.

The Orange I have no idea on the market, probably worth as much whole as in parts though.

Is the DB a better bike?

The white spider was used by some racers who were sponsored by other companies. They had them stickered up as their sponsor’s product. I know of at least two nineties riders who did this, and I suspect it was more widespread than that. They said that the WS was the best bike frame available.

In terms of size, I will measure it. But I’m average height and proportions, so it will fit an average bloke. I suspect it is about 17.5”.

Is the DB a better bike?

The white spider was used by some racers who were sponsored by other companies. They had them stickered up as their sponsor’s product. I know of at least two nineties riders who did this, and I suspect it was more widespread than that. They said that the WS was the best bike frame available.

In terms of size, I will measure it. But I’m average height and proportions, so it will fit an average bloke. I suspect it is about 17.5”.

Ah sorry, its just you said you had it made for you earlier.

The DB is the Roberts Dogs Bolx frame.

Yes it was made for me, but I am not a freaky build.

Yep, I know the DB. I chose the White Spider instead because of the recommendations for it.

Unfortunately the DB is a more desirable frame and commands higher prices.

The search function on here is really good and the site has a policy of leaving prices on sold adverts to help with future valuations.

Unfortunately the DB is a more desirable frame and commands higher prices.

The search function on here is really good and the site has a policy of leaving prices on sold adverts to help with future valuations.
Sure I get that. It was trumpeted by MBUK as I recall.

Back