Accident Blackspots

I'm not sure what to suggest for that junction. You could climb to Broomhill after the Hallamshire and drop down or ride along Eccy Rd and then have a final climb, but it's all added effort. Or cheat and cross over before westbourne road and ride the pavement

Brook Hill roundabout is a no-no for me. Many moons ago, one sunday morning i approached from Walkley with baby onboard and some nutter came up netherthorpe, never saw me and headed straight to the middle lane and i had to take evasive action. No harm came to us, but its put me off ever since. I now go through the uni, past the Arts tower, use the underpass and drop into town via Broomhall.

I'm using these front & rear. Records on a loop in short sections onto sd card. I only commute a small section on road but had some close calls.

Not as sharp maybe as go-pro or the expensive Aussie camera light combo Cycliq but good enough for number plates

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

It's the injustice of it all which annoys me the most.. an elderly chap (some of whom can have an "Get out of my way.. i'm a motorist" Mr Burns type mentality) nearly clipped me on the previously mentioned cycle lane then beeped his horn at me so i was ready to kick off, turned out he'd only beeped to get my attention, he held his hands up and said "i'm so sorry" ...and y'know.. that's all i really want to hear, i'm not a militant cyclist, i'm just trying to get home from work in one piece..

Some other dude in a Yaris nearly clipped me in the same spot and shouted out of his window "WATCH WHAT YOU'RE F**KING DOING" while pointing to his eyes.. Yup that's right, i should watch what i'm doing while trying to avoid your car which is being driven in the cycle lane.. wanker!

Brook Hill roundabout is a no-no for me. Many moons ago, one sunday morning i approached from Walkley with baby onboard and some nutter came up netherthorpe, never saw me and headed straight to the middle lane and i had to take evasive action. No harm came to us, but its put me off ever since. I now go through the uni, past the Arts tower, use the underpass and drop into town via Broomhall.

^This is exactly what happens to me but i'm approaching from Western Park/Childrens Hospital without the baby!

I once rejoined Brook Hill at the crossing after the roundabout heading down Broad Lane.. At the end of Beet Street there is a crossing with a central reservation to allow folks to cross to the center of the road before crossing the second lane, the lane narrows significantly because of the central reservation, 10m before or after the crossing is a perfectly legit place to pass a cyclist but this twat decided to squeeze between me and the central reservation at 6am, his wing mirror clipped My watch (which i wear on my right) on his way past, i felt it become loose, luckily i was wearing a long sleeve jersey, got off my bike, held my wrist and put my hand in the air to let all the loose bits of watch fall into my elbow.. walked to work fearing the worst and emptied my jersey out on my desk...thankfully it was only the bracelet which he'd bust and i could repair it.. what a cock!.. just wait..like 5 seconds!!

When i was using the crossing at Brook Hill recently, there were lots of cops and paramedics attending to some chap in the road, there was a woman arguing with the cops.. while i was waiting for the lights to change.. i was trying to listen in to their conversation and i heard them say "He's the victim here, he's the one who's been knocked off his bike and he's the one who's had his bike stolen" but i never figured out if a car had deliberately knocked him off, chucked the bike in the boot and driven off.. i doubt it because it was rush hour with lots of witnesses.. more likely he was hit by a car and an opportunist passerby rode off on his bike.. either way.. what the flip!

What she had to do with it all I don't know?

Latest posts

Back