Is anyone else having problems with post?Dorsetbikeloving is

Easy_Rider":jq71eiml said:
You guys have waited less than a month for stuff :?
On more than one occasion i've waited more than 2 months :LOL:
Hope the rest of you guys get your stuff soon.

I don't like the idea of restricted trading or verification, i think it will put many genuine newbie sellers off BUT the idea of mandatory feedback link at the top of the thread is a good idea.

I agree with this. Granted, this is the longest I've ever waited for an item in like 8 years of online trading, but I did contact the guy the same day the original for sale post went up, and it took a while to even sort out. I was also going away in early Oct and gave specific instructions for delivery after I'd paid, which wasn't an issue at the time. I was then fobbed off with excuses for weeks (and thought it was a right off) until the brakes arrived today.

However, ultra-strict policies will definitely put people off in my experience, especially newbies. I've only been a member of this site for a short while but I love it, and it is only very rare occasions when this sort of thing happens, anywhere. I think the best thing would be some form of feedback forum as it is so much less aggressive.

SF Klein":2vshlblu said:
I'm not a super techie network geek, but I believe there has to be something about the IP address, or maybe MAC address of the router itself, that your wireless provider needs in order to know you're their customer. In the US, the authorities frequently use IP/MAC/whatever it is, to track down child p*rn offenders, catch the "CraigsList Killer", etc. It can be done but I'm not sure exactly what they use.

IP address could vary - the determined could use a different ISP, or somebody else's PC or connection.

MAC addresses don't leave the subnet, normally, in routed environments. ARP-ing off subnet, simply leaves you with the next hop's MAC address.

Easy_Rider":kx4ze15h said:
You guys have waited less than a month for stuff :?

That's only half the story.

This is all history repeating - plus there's all the donated charity / karma parts, and the "invented" provenance of them for "Dorsetbikeloving". To my mind, that's the more significant, sinister aspect to this. If they are one and the same person, a whole series of lies was told about them - and for what end?

Easy_Rider":3dgtuyea said:
I don't like the idea of restricted trading or verification, i think it will put many genuine newbie sellers off

That makes it sound like retrobike only exists for commerce / trading.

Maybe there's something to that idea - before you sell on forum, there's some checks or details that have to be cleared by the moderating team. I mean there's already some rules (price, number of posts in that forum).

Having something like this happen, more than once, and the whole apparent invention of getting hold of the charity bike stuff, to my mind is very damaging, where trust in trading is concerned.

Neil":b293vtvj said:
Easy_Rider":b293vtvj said:
I don't like the idea of restricted trading or verification, i think it will put many genuine newbie sellers off

That makes it sound like retrobike only exists for commerce / trading.

Maybe there's something to that idea - before you sell on forum, there's some checks or details that have to be cleared by the moderating team. I mean there's already some rules (price, number of posts in that forum).

Having something like this happen, more than once, and the whole apparent invention of getting hold of the charity bike stuff, to my mind is very damaging, where trust in trading is concerned.

I'm against any extra rules/regulations (hence why never vote Labour, bloody nanny state), plus its a load more work for the mods that they probably don't need. Out of thousands of trades there aren't many that turn sour, and the ones that do can most likely be stopped by adhering to and acting on the feedback thread. People already turn off ebay traders with 99.9% feedback so the concept works.

I am aware of the alleged previous incarnation of this chap and the karma stuff. Poor form? Yes. the most heinous crime on this planet that requires us to restrict other peoples freedom? I'm not convinced.

Easy_Rider":mz9venuh said:
I am aware of the alleged previous incarnation of this chap and the karma stuff. Poor form? Yes. the most heinous crime on this planet that requires us to restrict other peoples freedom? I'm not convinced.
Oh it's a bit more than poor form - if they are one and the same person, it's repeated targetting, and a series of lies all told for some effect.

And talk about restricting other peoples' freedom is a bit overdramatic, don't you think? On ebay, there are things you need to have registered before you can trade - and to a large degree, buyers have some protection if things go wrong.

There's nothing more tarnishing for people trading, than things going wrong - when those things going wrong are repeated, from (potentially) people who were banned previously - I don't think it's overly draconian to suggest that maybe some further checks need to be put in place.

Added to that, the whole potential deception over the the charity build stuff, and it looks a lot more calculating and premeditated than simply being unreliable where trading is concerned - if it's the same person then he went out of his way to invent a whole series of events, and tell some unnecessary lies, here. To my mind that's significantly more troubling than simply being an unreliable trader, and I don't think it's unreasonable (given he's been banned already) to suggest that perhaps there needs to be some checks and balances in place to try and prevent another further repeat.

Neil":2xph5ov4 said:
Easy_Rider":2xph5ov4 said:
Oh it's a bit more than poor form - if they are one and the same person, it's repeated targetting, and a series of lies all told for some effect.

And talk about restricting other peoples' freedom is a bit overdramatic, don't you think? On ebay, there are things you need to have registered before you can trade - and to a large degree, buyers have some protection if things go wrong.

There's nothing more tarnishing for people trading, than things going wrong - when those things going wrong are repeated, from (potentially) people who were banned previously - I don't think it's overly draconian to suggest that maybe some further checks need to be put in place.

Added to that, the whole potential deception over the the charity build stuff, and it looks a lot more calculating and premeditated than simply being unreliable where trading is concerned - if it's the same person then he went out of his way to invent a whole series of events, and tell some unnecessary lies, here. To my mind that's significantly more troubling than simply being an unreliable trader, and I don't think it's unreasonable (given he's been banned already) to suggest that perhaps there needs to be some checks and balances in place to try and prevent another further repeat.

I think that his actions have already affected the way the sales forum works. I for one am being a lot more carefull with my purchases, if it from someone I dont 'know'.
I'd never given a 2nd thought to this before as the whole system seemed to be built on trust.
I suppose the larger the site gets, the more likely it is to be targeted by scammers. IF mazdaman/dbl is the same person, then he is a calculating thief, who stole from us, and charity :evil:

I think it's up to us individually to be careful. If you don't like the provenance of the seller, don't buy - no matter how attractive the price.

In return, it is up to us all to use the feedback thread enthusiastically.

I think that burdening the mods with our personal details is a huge burden on volunteers, especially as they then have to take extra measures to protect those details. They will then also come under Data Protection law. I don't think that this is the direction we should go.

If you are really unhappy, then get the seller to post it on ebay with a Buy It Now.

Remember that the costs of Ebay and Paypal commissions are the insurance for protection on a transaction. I think that we should also recognise that and not just regard it as a tax.

Back