My wife says I have a problem!

Yes indeed. In fact I'm really in hot water now. Sunday tip run, and what is sat there with the rusty Halfords tat & my old tyres? Only a 1989 Giant Escaper, complete with beautiful black Araya rims & full Deore MT62 groupset. It's even got it's original Giant branded bottle cage. Oh, missing seat & post but I have something for that. My logic for this £20 purchase is that I'm getting "rid of" the Iron Horse AT70 since the frame is mangled (By getting rid I mean strip it of useful parts for use on other builds then take the bare frame to the tip, because everything else is useful of course) but we all know it makes sense to rescue such an early, well specced, bike... Doesn't it?
Good save :D

Thanks, will post some pics of it later if I don't become unalived by the better half before I have a chance! It's not hugely pretty but feels like it was loved and dry stored, if the frame cleans up OK I think the rest of it is pretty much just in need of a clean and lube, even the chain isn't overly stiff just the headset & cables :D

Thanks, will post some pics of it later if I don't become unalived by the better half before I have a chance! It's not hugely pretty but feels like it was loved and dry stored, if the frame cleans up OK I think the rest of it is pretty much just in need of a clean and lube, even the chain isn't overly stiff just the headset & cables :D
Pics please :)

I like that Escaper. I believe it's an '88 one?
View attachment 789736
Yes it could be '88 will have to do some digging. Info I found pointed to '89 being the release date for Deore MT62 but you know how Google is. Same colour scheme as the above anyhow, but no such luck as to have a snowflake front wheel :(
Currently taking a minute out of sweat duties cutting some wood and will try and get pics & work on the date after that. Just pleased to still be around to enjoy it at the moment lol, will have to keep any more irresistible rescue bikes a secret at this rate!

No pics yet, but all I've done so far is throw a seat & post in it oil the chain/cables & pump the rotten old tyres up as much as I dared. Not even cleaned it yet, but just taken it for a 5 minute rip round the block and it was exhilarating. Rides really nice and the brakes even work decently.

Tomorrow, pics & a clean. :D

Coulda spent it on drugs and alcohol. You did well. She should be grateful.

I have somewhere between 35-40 old vintage mountain bikes. Today went past a garage sale saw bikes and had to stop and check them out. Was a matching set of 1990 Mongoose Switchback bikes in almost perfect condition, what I think is 100% original! The seller wanted $50 for both bikes and I didn't even try to talk him down. The wife thinks I need an intervention!

Does anyone else have this problem?
I get sneared at but we have seperate finances, and I have multiple storage places. I do tell her though and face the ridicule as if i drop dead I want her to not just give it away or skip it! But you are one of the people I cant help but share the story of, in my defence.
If I didn't have a bunch of vehicles and an old house in renovation I would be way worse than the dozen or so I have though!

Thats the thing though, the old adage " my biggest fear is I die and my wife sells my tool / guitars / bikes for what I told her I payed for them! "
Seems like you are open, and their are bigger problems to have than a pile of saleable bikes over any other addiction!

Latest posts

Back