My wife says I have a problem!

It's not a problem, it's a recognised condition, velodius hoarderitus.
There is no cure, running out of space slows the symptoms but it always finds a way back, best to just roll with it šŸ˜
I have a different diagnosis, mine is an aberrant sexual psychological syndrome called bicycle fetish. My wife diagnosed me. She is a retired nurse so that must be right. In the winter our bed is my workbench. I use an old sheet for a drop cloth, if I remember. If I donā€™t remember, then I have to order new high end sheets right away. IMG_1282.jpeg IMG_1652.jpeg IMG_2679.jpeg If you only have 40 bicycles, then I consider you a piker (North American slang for one who does things in a small way). You can own a lot more if you rent a storage unit or store some at 3-4 friends and of course they take up less room if you dismantle them. Youā€™d be surprised how many fit in a closet once you get rid of all the jackets and whatnot.

Youā€™d be surprised how many fit in a closet once you get rid of all the jackets and whatnot

IMG_4392.jpeg

Iā€™ve managed nine in the closet, five on the balcony, two locked outside, and then some at work, plus numerous frames and parts. My girlfriend says I have a problem, and I couldnā€™t agree more. Itā€™s the lack of space!

Last edited:
Thatā€™s what Iā€™m talking about. My 1967 Triumph motorcycle was dismantled, in the 1980s, each winter for closet storage. I had the front wheel and fork in my closet, someone else had the tank, rear wheel and mudguards, someone else had the engine/tranny, someone else the frame. Back together in the spring. Before I came up with this genius idea I stored it, for the winter, in a ground depression at a summer cottage. I laid it down, covered it with plastic tarps and dumped leaves and brush on it. When you first started it in the spring, water would splash on you from inside the forks when you hit bumps. Itā€™s amazing I still have it and it runs. One of the forks leaks oil, probably from rust damage. IMG_0055.jpeg

Last edited:
I don't know who's responsible here, whether youngest lad Ryan for getting me back into bikes after 20 years, or my latent eye for cool old bikes passing down to him. Either way, not half a week after I swore no more tip rescues, he's gone and rescued the early-'00s? Saracen Traverse that's been sat there weeks.

His reasoning for this is he needs a geared bike for the woodland trails as opposed to his pump track/dirt jump SS rigs & the BFG's Palomar is way too big for anything but road work. Can't fault the boy's logic, even if I did say he could use the Shogun :D

Mind you, we're working hard to convert mum by getting "her" Outpost (see what we did there? ;) ) tuned up right so she can start learning why it's NOT really a problem at all, but a fine excuse to get out and stay fit for cheap.

Back