I'm getting a bit fed up with this.

<laughs hysterically in Canadian>
This TBH.

Oh, THIS concurrent situation
(Yes, that is a bedroom and five bicycles)

THIS too.
Somebody buy all my shit already.

I love THIS hobby dearly you know that. However, edging builds this long equates to sporting a red bell bellistic helmet and lotion these days is £12345 per 10ml with %67 VAT.

IMG_20240121_050948.jpg

3AM Retrobike hard-post rants for life love and this.

Last edited:
<laughs hysterically in Canadian>
<Joins in in Australian>

The weird thing about getting stuff shipped here is that, yes, the US is eye-bulgingly expensive (to the point that the cost of shipping say, a chainring, is twice what you pay for the ring itself), but that shipping from Asia is similarly costly -- and we're supposed to be part of the APAC region . . .

The cheapest shipping is still from the UK, with some European countries coming a close second -- but then for some reason Italy is more expensive.

And if buying on eBay, their Global Shipping Service is the worst -- completely out of proportion with what you're buying to the extent that you just don't buy the thing.

So here in Aus, where the market is small, it's a case of browsing eBay, Facebook Marketplace, and Gumtree, and waiting for that rare item to pop up. I waited three years for a Pace RC31 fork, for example.

I as a German would love to compete "my" shipping costs with the UK you mentioned.

Here are only 3 examples:

1.) German Post/DHL shipping stuff up to 1.000 Gramms in an envelope (tracked!) worldwide (!) for only 10,50 Euros. No insurance. Envelope maximum 5 Centimeters thick. For example a full elastomer set, including 2 chainrings, 2 sets of chainring bolts, 16 bottle cage screws and a full decal set for bike. Even more will fit in there.

2.) DHL: Shipping a bike frame (or even whole bike disassembled) in a maximum 1200 x 600 x 600 mm box with DHL. Tracked and insured up 500,00 Euros is only 47,99 Euros. Worldwide (!). Maximum 5 kilograms.

3.) DHL: Shipping a bike frame (or even whole bike disassembled) in a maximum 1200 x 600 x 600 mm box with DHL. Tracked and insured up 500,00 Euros is only 77,99 Euros. Worldwide (!). Maximum 10 kilograms.

And it (10 Kilos) used to be only 64,00 Euros until about a year ago.

You also have the choice of some extras for only little extra money. Priority handling (speed-up) or a higher insurance amount, etc.

I can feel that frustration. The internet should make finding this stuff easier, but search for 'Bontrage'r & I'm pretty certain the results won't be what you had in mind.
My motivation or enthusiasm for retro comes & goes in waves. Perhaps a result of the frustration. When bikes seem to suck I pay my cars some attention.

I've found that unless your keeping the bike it just ain't worth it.

Also better customized bikes often sell for less than standard !

Then there's but I can't ride a bike unless it's changed to my preferences & that you get bored of just two bikes just as members have several.

My retro has cost well over £300 but it's only likely worth £140 after just getting xt brakes that cost £80.

I could of got a heist deore 63 mm sales for £349!

But that ain't a customized white industries SS with xt brakes!

Just broke my halo skewers & have just stuck the old rusty bolts back on as bmx fitting ones cost £40 if could find correct thread.

Winter hack summer to hot for ebike blast secured mind.

& no gear indexing & SS kmc only £13 ebay bonus.

Future of forum God knows.

Back