Hello you all from me and my teenage dreams, the Cannondale BOTE/F700 1996/7

little fox

Cannondale Fan
Since i have been lurking around in here long enough for it to seem creepy if i don't say hi and introduce myself, here goes:
Hi, i'm Felix.
"Dirty Tricks and Cunning Stunts" is what sparked my love for technical riding (not neccessarily trials only) back in the day. Since then i always rode frames that were actually a bit to small for my size and beat them through the woods and streets.
After my beloved F800 from 05 got stolen a few years ago, i never found another bike that felt good. So i had to go back to what sarted it all and finally found a 96' BOTE frame.
Will pick that up next week and take it from there.
I have seen very impressive stuff here by the likes of @Fam Allen, @davecara , @Luke26mhz and it's got me pumped. Thanks guys for the inspiration and motivation!
In the meantime i stumbled upon an F700 from January 97 in nice original red Volvo-paint and just had to buy it now i'm potentially looking at 2 projects, ugh, but hey, there's one i can ride while sourcing parts for the other, or i might hang the Beast frame on the wall for a while and focus on the F, since that's an easy one to update bit by bit while actually riding it. 🤷‍♂️, i think it also was ridden by Martyn in Tricks&Stunts and Chainspotting since it had the DD60 instead of the p-bone but i could very well be absolutely wrong about this.

(i'm a bit puzzled though: the Serial number of the F700 suggests January97, the original paint aswell, CAAD2 instead of 3, but it has the Canti-Stub that only the yellow 96 CAAD3 had, as far as i could tell from the catalogs the 97 did not have that anymore?) [see, i already am stumped before i begin, if you know the answer, please do educate me!]

So, i am happy to have found this community and hope i won't be too much of a hassle with all my stupid questions that are sure to arise as soon as i start sourcing parts and building.
Also, if anyone has parts i could need and is willing to ship to Austria, please do reach out!
This may very well turn into a build-thread...

BOTE.jpg F700.jpg

Thank you, I’m actually really excited about this. Not sure as a full replica might break my bank. What do decent magic moto cranksets go for these days?

Yeah they can break the bank. I’d hate to think how much mines cost me to be honest.

I’m not really sure what they go for, I went down the middleburn route with mine.

Thank you, I’m actually really excited about this. Not sure as a full replica might break my bank. What do decent magic moto cranksets go for these days?

Something like 350-400 €/$... so instead of putting a commando mask on your face and heading to local office, I'd suggest Coda Tarantula crankset. You can find them for ~100-150 and they are beautiful also :)

P4225087.JPG

Last edited:
Thank you for your input, lads!
@Vesatoro yeah thanks, they really look nice!
I will definitely not aim too high for my first build so I won‘t try for an exact replica. I‘ll try to find what fits and works well without breaking the bank or breaking any purist laws of what‘s considered to not insult the frame itself. Guess there will be a Part-finding post soon. Thank you all!

Latest posts

Back