I wouldn't buy a electric car from

I can vaguely remember a reference in a book regarding trying to develop space travel without having cracked subsistence agriculture first.

Tesla is a bit like that, they've got no idea of the process around "designing and making a car", most the people they've recruited who actually know the process and framework have been shouted down or sacked for holding things up. Mainly pointing out that you need to do X, Y and Z to make the car a) safe, b) legal and c) not cost an utter shitload in warranty.

Next stage is either a chairman who can keep control of Musk and the company and they'll come through this ok or a chairman who can't, and they'll continue to fall apart.

I have a model 3 for most of the next two weeks to play with. The model X i had in the spring (5 or 6 weeks old) had already got 2 permanently lit warning lights. Three or four of the toggle switches were hanging off, the gull wing doors were limping towards failure and one of the self popping door handles didn't pop consistently anymore. The model S isn't much better.

A chap in our SAR team has a model S. Forget fairy tales about 265 miles range. Simply whacking the heater or headlights on knocks a hundred miles off that with a single flick of the switch. £80k for a broken promise, and more pollution than a 7 series bimmer3.

But it's very fast in ludicrous mode* though!

*ludicrous mode is when you turn off all the built in safety limiters and run the battery in an extremely damaging way that knocks years off the lifespan.

Don't forget those daft giant phev type vehicles, volvo had one which was supposed to do over 100mpg but real world was barely 35.

You can shout at the stupid idiots who designed the test cycles for that. There are *very* few cars, hybrid or otherwise, that will achieve their official fuel consumption figures. Unless you spend a serious amount of time driving up and down an empty motorway at 80kph.

My favourite is the new range rover sport hybrid. 200kg heavier than a standard model plus a smaller fuel tank to make way for the batteries...

Duh.

mattr":4ilkeq9q said:
Yup, remove 200km of fuel range and replace it with 50km of electric range.......

That is not necessarily a bad trade off. Lots of drivers do a daily run of less than 50km, so potentially could restrict fossil runs to longer trips.

We are hoping to get a 100 mile range out of a 4x4 conversion. That would cover us for more than a couple of days.

Latest posts

Back