Help - Last resort tips for removing seized BB

A long, long time ago now, my LBS made such a hash of removing a seized in B/B that they ended up cutting the shell with a hacksaw and peeling it back. It achieved the aim, I guess, of getting the B/B out.

I was given a warranty replacement frame but bought the knackered one back from the dealer for £10 and then took it to a local framebuilder to have a new one brazed in and a respray.

I was at the time a little upset...

Terry...

Mmm, bit of araldite and quick polish ;) ... think it's the original BB, it was running fine but I like to make sure that I can get these things in and out easily and look how it ended up?!

Yeah, my last resort was to send it off for a new BB shell and paint but don't think I could justify the cost - it's only an old saracen e-stay thing - so thought 'right, lets get the hammer out!' The cups were a bit of a pain too, careful cutting and prising, only slight damage to threads and outer edges of BB shell, but this has been sorted by lbs, now the proud owner of a new BB with more grease* than my local chippy!

:D

*anti-seize

Back