1991 GT Team Avalanche Midnight Aurora - Restoration

Great restoration! I love these old steel GTs, the paint is beautiful, nice work saving and bring it back to life.

I’m also planning to use SprayMax for my current Rocky Mtn build. First time I’ll have used it so I’ve noted a couple of your pointers already.

I won’t have a chance to paint until later October in Vancouver so we’ll see if I can find the right space and temps needed. I wonder if a person could get away with applying at 15C and then quickly moving to 20+C for drying?

Was one can enough for two coats on frame and fork? I have a stem to do as well. Thanks for any pointers, your clear coat turned out great 👍

Great restoration! I love these old steel GTs, the paint is beautiful, nice work saving and bring it back to life.

I’m also planning to use SprayMax for my current Rocky Mtn build. First time I’ll have used it so I’ve noted a couple of your pointers already.

I won’t have a chance to paint until later October in Vancouver so we’ll see if I can find the right space and temps needed. I wonder if a person could get away with applying at 15C and then quickly moving to 20+C for drying?

Was one can enough for two coats on frame and fork? I have a stem to do as well. Thanks for any pointers, your clear coat turned out great 👍
Hi Canuckbiker,

I've found SprayMax to be much better that the clear coats I've tried (Spray.bike for example) finish is better and it seems more durable... I think recommended temp is 18-25C... I have another bike I want to do, so I might have to wait until next April :-(

I've not tried it lower than 20C, so can't advise either way, but would be interested to know the results if you have a go!

Other tips would be to keep the can vertical and pay close attention to the recommended distance, it helps give a good finish and reduces drips.

One can gave me three coats on the frame, forks and stem and enough for a fourth application under the down tube and on the chain stays.

I've found multiple light coats is the way to go!

Please, please, wear a proper respiration and googles (not a COVID mask) clearcoated lungs are not great :) and wash any exposed skin afterwards, SprayMax gives a great finish, but it is nasty stuff if you are not adequately protected.

Finally.... Good luck! I look forward to seeing your results!!

Hi Canuckbiker,

I've found SprayMax to be much better that the clear coats I've tried (Spray.bike for example) finish is better and it seems more durable... I think recommended temp is 18-25C... I have another bike I want to do, so I might have to wait until next April :-(

I've not tried it lower than 20C, so can't advise either way, but would be interested to know the results if you have a go!

Other tips would be to keep the can vertical and pay close attention to the recommended distance, it helps give a good finish and reduces drips.

One can gave me three coats on the frame, forks and stem and enough for a fourth application under the down tube and on the chain stays.

I've found multiple light coats is the way to go!

Please, please, wear a proper respiration and googles (not a COVID mask) clearcoated lungs are not great :) and wash any exposed skin afterwards, SprayMax gives a great finish, but it is nasty stuff if you are not adequately protected.

Finally.... Good luck! I look forward to seeing your results!!
Thanks so much @PhillB for the tips! I hope my results are on par with yours 😁

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Nice, I’ve always like the ‘granite’ paint job on those.

In terms of forks, your best bet might be to buy another frame as they rarely (but occasionally) come up on their own.

Otherwise, black goes with everything!

Plus if your chrome ones are Tange or even Koski forks, they’ll be worth selling!

Nice, I’ve always like the ‘granite’ paint job on those.

In terms of forks, your best bet might be to buy another frame as they rarely (but occasionally) come up on their own.

Otherwise, black goes with everything!

Plus if your chrome ones are Tange or even Koski forks, they’ll be worth selling!
Not sure where you are based @bamacrazy but this is on eBay in the UK...has the forks perhaps?

Latest posts

Back