Stuck BB removal options - *Update* It’s Out!

No I’m bolt the tool in place through the BB assuming a hollow spindle.

And then clamp the tool in the massive vice and then turn the frame.

If the drive side is really, really stuck fast ( to the point of the teeth breaking) then one option is to hammer the spindle out through the non drive side. The remnants of the plastic cup will break before the steel. You then have room to get a hacksaw blade in and you can then cut the drive side cup very carefully in 3 or 4 places and it should peel out.
Caustic soda will dissolve it too but its nasty stuff.
Agreed, this works. I would add that best to work at ground level with the bare frame flat on cardboard with BB shell supported with hefty pieces of timber. A short lump hammer is the tool to carefully use in a brutal way, takes a fair few whacks but the axle will come out.

No I’m bolt the tool in place through the BB assuming a hollow spindle.

And then clamp the tool in the massive vice and then turn the frame.
Don’t believe it’s a hollow spindle though will double check. So the only bolting I was planning would be into the crank bolt threads, and then be either reliant on my spanner not slipping when levered from afar, or clamping it in a vice as you suggest - only my vice and the space around it may not be adequate.

Agreed, this works. I would add that best to work at ground level with the bare frame flat on cardboard with BB shell supported with hefty pieces of timber. A short lump hammer is the tool to carefully use in a brutal way, takes a fair few whacks but the axle will come out.
Good to know this is a tried and tested option. This gives me an option should the teeth on the metal cup get knackered.

So I’m clear, that’s hitting it from the drive side, forcing the spindle to exit out the non-drive side?

To be honest 90% of the time I never even bolt it anyway. I just put the tool in the vice and turn the frame whilst using one hand to push down a little onto the tool. However since yours has no teeth I’d bolt that one

Good to know this is a tried and tested option. This gives me an option should the teeth on the metal cup get knackered.

So I’m clear, that’s hitting it from the drive side, forcing the spindle to exit out the non-drive side?
Yes the plastic threads will give way and everything bar the drive side cup will come out of the non drive side.

To be honest 90% of the time I never even bolt it anyway. I just put the tool in the vice and turn the frame whilst using one hand to push down a little onto the tool. However since yours has no teeth I’d bolt that one
Using the frame as the lever has always been my pro bike mechanics mantra - fair enough when you have a steel workbench and monster vice as he does!

Back