HELP please: Threaded XT M379 drive side crank

cornishretro

Dirt Disciple
Hi all, I'm looking for some advice please. In trying to remove my crank to get a look at the bottom bracket of my new bike I had a malfunction or an incorrect crank pulling tool because I pretty much ripped the crank puller out of the thread. So I guess it's not repairable? Will I have any luck removing the crank with a gear puller, if so are there any tips? Is it likely I can buy just a drive side crank? I'm gutted because it's the nicest crank I've ever had. Thanks in advance for your help.

Various methods to remove the crank, a quick ride up and down the street is the easiest.

Single arms come up for sale quite often for various reasons so may not have to wait too long for one hopefully.

There are a few things you can try, easiest is to ride with crank bolt missing and eventually it will work loose,
You could cable tie another crank spider to yours and use that to pull yours off,
There is also the option of using things like, heat, ball joint separator, 3 jaw pullers etc. @legrandefromage will probably have some other ideas

Keith

@legrandefromage I see what you have done there, I was thinking along those same lines but hadn’t come up with an elegant solution yet. What did you use as your backing peice it needs to be something quite chunky I guess?

Latest posts

Back