92 Kili Racer stuck BB woes.

gerryattrick

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I picked this bike up a couple of weeks ago off a neighbour whose son had this from new, but it had been gathering dust in the garage for 25 years since his son passed his driving test. I think it was all original stuff, but the paintwork is a bit tatty.
Got it home and it didn't augur well that I had to destroy the seatpost to get it out of the frame. The BB had a bit of play so I started to get it out but it was so stuck that I left it soaking in some releasing fluid tipped down the seat tube for a few days, occasionally tapping the BB shell with a hammer to see if that would help the fluid penetrate.

After a lot of work I have completely smoothed off the teeth in the plastic retaining cup on the non drive side. Started on the metal cup on the drive side and stuck solid. Have used a metre long scaffold tube on a wrench screwed into the axle to stop it moving and all I have managed to do is round off the head of the BB tool.

I am thinking I am going to have to try to drill into the BB to see if I can knock the axle out. Has anyone tried this as a last resort, or should I just keep on trying hoping that the fluid will eventually make a difference.

If it doesn't work I am not too worried as it only cost me £20 and it would have cost me that for all the stuff on it.

20230817_190037.jpg 20230817_190148.jpg

I feel your pain. Hammer the spindle out through the plastic non drive side. The plastic will give way and will come out with the spindle.
You can look at the metal cup then and decide how to get it out.
Ive had to carefully hacksaw through the metal cups on a few occasions. If you do use a hacksaw make about 4 cuts but not right through or you’ll damage the threads. You should be able to peel it out then.
Dont let it win!!

That didn't work in the bike workshop I have access to, with two of us turning it.
I’m assuming the correct way?

Sometimes I’ve had to slightly tighten it first and then work out.

The only one I’ve had to cut out in maybe 400+ bikes which I can remember was on a Ti frame. Wasn’t hard but took ages as I cut maybe 10-15 slots and then peeled it out slowly.

Konacarl is right - using a club hammer whilst supporting the frame at the BB exit the spindle out the non-drive side. Mine was a totally seized Shimano aluminium cup BB, 5ft long breaker bar would not shift it and the cup splines were starting to rip out. Once the axle is out take your time cutting the remaining cup out. I managed without any thread damage.

I've got a similar issue, what would you do if both cups are steel and both have damaged teeth?
Use a long bolt to tighten the bottom bracket tool to the spindle so it can't pull away, then use a large wrench/spanner to turn the bottom bracket tool.

Use a long bolt to tighten the bottom bracket tool to the spindle so it can't pull away, then use a large wrench/spanner to turn the bottom bracket tool.
I usually do that but in this instance there's literally no teeth left for the bottom bracket tool to fix to.

Back