First generation Extralite F1, frame painting.

Retro Spud":3cwh82uz said:
mk one":3cwh82uz said:
There have been a few of these up for sale recently.

:shock: Really, never heard of them before

I love the look of an true AMP but then you have to have the obligatory AMP fork - But this is a license to use something else up front and that takes the appeal off the scale.

I know nothing of them and tbh thought they were cheap shop type frames from bitd :facepalm: just had a look through ebay and the only one i can find at moment is this one, im sure there was a yellow one but may have been from US.

And i think it will look strange without an amp fork up front, not sure what i would run on it, girvin maybe?

The catalogue pic has it mated to a Manitou

Personally I’ll like to see it wearing an RS Judy :cool:

Retro Spud":180wtpmk said:
love the look of an true AMP but then you have to have the obligatory AMP fork - But this is a license to use something else up front and that takes the appeal off the scale.

I know what you mean Nick. Ad from MBUK Nov 1997 with Pace forks on the front! Does open things up.

Extralite Ad Nov 1997 MBUK

Or RS carbon FSX?

Re:

well positive response from Extralite today. Emailed yesterday to receive a mail that they were closed for summer and back next week, so too my surprise a very nice email from Sergio Riva.
He gave me the original paint details: F1/F2 original yellow- 1021 - AkzoNobel powdercoat :D
They still have decals :D :D
and
Shock and linkage spare parts are still in stock..... :D :D :D

So it seems there is still support for this 22 year old girl!

I have inquired locally about powdercoating (they can do it, but really they are industrial though he did have 2 bikes on the rack) and will speak to CTC in Maldon, Essex.
I think I am going to stick to original colours etc with this. Some of the later bikes, F2 and "X-link" had a very nice bronze/gold anodized frame, but mine isn't one of those, so it would be wrong and irritate me (like sticking an "M" badge on a 316!).

F1 "X-link" Race (factory) 8570grams! :shock:
f1ANN1.jpg

It is nice.....

The alternative is bare aluminum. I do wonder if the paint weighs more than the frame!

I took rear off the frame. All titanium fixings (including the pivot bar) except for the 2 little grub screws....nice. Shock has a titanium shaft....just the spring is steel. I will ask them for a rebuild kit for the shock...very simple affair (looks to be similar to the AMP rear shocks) so should be straightforward.

I might turn this into my first ever build thread..... :facepalm:

So jealous.....

And 100% thumbs up for a full on build thread - perhaps ask a mod to move this to the correct area and out of the chat area.

Awesome support from the factory.... should be a great build...

Re:

Great frames these, I remember my local shop selling a few BITD. I don't think you'd see product support from any major brand as good as this? I'm all for originality but if weight is a concern I'd leave it bare & polished. No such thing as a light weight tin of paint!

Re: Re:

fettler":zvkw5aq6 said:
Great frames these, I remember my local shop selling a few BITD. I don't think you'd see product support from any major brand as good as this? I'm all for originality but if weight is a concern I'd leave it bare & polished. No such thing as a light weigh tin of paint!

Forgive me for being a tad negative here but if the person who had it painted green sandblasted the original yellow off the metal take one hell of a lot of polishing to get even the resemblance of a shine.

Since Gerard builds/Owns pretty bikes I’m sure the right decision will be made.

Back