First post and advice sought ..

JN23

Dirt Disciple
Greetings from a newbie.

I'm looking at buying a decent old steel MTB for my wife, to be used as a comfortable expedition/touring bike, with rear rack and guards to be added. The cost of the new equivalent bike these days is getting silly, not to mention poor availability, so it's got to be used.

Have got my eyes on two nice examples - one is a 1996 lugged "Reynolds Cr-Mo" 21 speed Claud Butler Oracle with Acera-X and the other is a 1988 Tange double butted 18 speed Saracen Limited Edition with Exage.

Pros and cons of each. I think the Saracen has the better frame (not sure what the "Reynolds Cr-Mo" is but no mention of 501/531 on the frame?). The Saracen has a rear u-brake which I no nothing about! The CB has Campag rims on Shimano hubs, and has a 7spd cassette rather than a 6spd screw-on etc..

My gut tells me to go for the better frame but I like them both so I though I'd ask the experts 😊

Many thanks

I'm looking at buying a decent old steel MTB for my wife,
Sounds like a fair swap! Only kidding. Welcome.

I would probably avoid the ubrake, they can be fiddly to set up and need "monitoring" to keep them working well.

I would probably look at something a little newer than 80s....standards are more compatible with what the average bike shop might have if you go mid 90s.

A marin 7 speed bear valley from 92/93 is a cracking bike. 7 speed, good quality tange frame and a sensible hardworking groupset.

i say marin as like kona, they have bigger head tubes, which gets your head up more, which is what you want for touring. Possibly also look at a size up...

There was even a 94 pine mountain...higher up the range .....for sale recently...very reasonable price imho.

Just keep an eye on the forum and don't get sucked into those ridiculous ebay prices....

Sounds like a fair swap! Only kidding. Welcome.

I would probably avoid the ubrake, they can be fiddly to set up and need "monitoring" to keep them working well.

I would probably look at something a little newer than 80s....standards are more compatible with what the average bike shop might have if you go mid 90s.

A marin 7 speed bear valley from 92/93 is a cracking bike. 7 speed, good quality tange frame and a sensible hardworking groupset.

i say marin as like kona, they have bigger head tubes, which gets your head up more, which is what you want for touring. Possibly also look at a size up...

There was even a 94 pine mountain...higher up the range .....for sale recently...very reasonable price imho.

Just keep an eye on the forum and don't get sucked into those ridiculous ebay prices....

Fair swap indeed!
;)
Thanks for the advice, really useful. Have always liked the look of older Marin MTB's, lovely designs

Four days searching and this is ADDICTIVE :)

Went to see a Claud Butler and a Saracen and then decided that I wanted a 90's Marin with a Tange frameset. I found a few good examples but my wife does not want a dark coloured bike, and definitely not one with fluorescent forks and bars. She also prefers an upright position and Marins do seem to be on the long side. I’m also in a hurry as we're off touring at the end of May and I need to allow time for restoration if required.

So, I've gone for a Raleigh Apex21 with Reynolds main tubes which I pick up at the end of next week. Exotic it is not but it's been looked after and is still with the original owner. It is ‘pearl ruby’ and the right frame size so meets my wife’s requirements. It is steel with double butted chromoly frame tubes and a chromoly fork, has a sealed cartridge BB, decent enough components (Exage), a Shimano cassette (not screw-on freewheel), a seat post which moves and is inexpensive, so meets all of mine.

I'd like to keep it original but if the components and wheels turn out to be cr*p, I have a donor bike at the ready.

Looking forward to getting oily in the coming weeks ;)

Four days searching and this is ADDICTIVE :)

Went to see a Claud Butler and a Saracen and then decided that I wanted a 90's Marin with a Tange frameset. I found a few good examples but my wife does not want a dark coloured bike, and definitely not one with fluorescent forks and bars. She also prefers an upright position and Marins do seem to be on the long side. I’m also in a hurry as we're off touring at the end of May and I need to allow time for restoration if required.

So, I've gone for a Raleigh Apex21 with Reynolds main tubes which I pick up at the end of next week. Exotic it is not but it's been looked after and is still with the original owner. It is ‘pearl ruby’ and the right frame size so meets my wife’s requirements. It is steel with double butted chromoly frame tubes and a chromoly fork, has a sealed cartridge BB, decent enough components (Exage), a Shimano cassette (not screw-on freewheel), a seat post which moves and is inexpensive, so meets all of mine.

I'd like to keep it original but if the components and wheels turn out to be cr*p, I have a donor bike at the ready.

Looking forward to getting oily in the coming weeks ;)
You won't go far wrong with this. Frame is bulletproof. Safe bet if, as you say, has been looked after.

Back