Rocky Mountain Edge 1995 'shelf queen'

It arrived. Very nice condition I think. Just the decals are a bit tattered.

p5pb26197834.jpg

p5pb26197833.jpg

p5pb26197829.jpg

p5pb26197832.jpg

p5pb26197831.jpg

p5pb26197830.jpg

p5pb26204012.jpg

It looks like a bike now. I found some XT-M737 cranks. They are not mint, but will do for now. I have a battered Magura HS22 raceline set underway. I think I'll respray that in red to mimic the Tomac special edition. Stem is a titanium Specialized unit and I borrowed my titanium Syncros and Flite saddle from my Blizzard. I have a search alert for a nice Kore, of Syncros or Roox seatpost. I found a Sram ESP derailleur, but I'm not sure if I want to keep that. I don't like gripshift and I think it's not compatible with Shimano shifters. I'm also on the lookout for a 31.8mm front derailleur. I think I want to go with XTR-M750 on the derailleurs. Maybe XT in the front.

The shock needs a rebuild, there's a lot of air in the oil chamber. The yellow sticker on the shock says "Service by sept 1999". I guess it's overdue :)

Last edited:
Working on the Edge... I got some Magura HS22 raceline brakes, they are a bit worn out and the rears don't have oil in them. In the 90s I had a Zaskar LE with the same set and I sprayed them plain yellow, as the fluor yellow really clashed with the decals. I'm definitely going to paint them, but I'm undecided if I go with red or yellow. Yellow would (hopefully) match the frame, red would mimic the Tomac signature series HS22.

p5pb26215741.jpg

p5pb26215740.jpg

p5pb26215739.jpg

p5pb26215738.jpg

This with me already cleaning them up a bit :) I see I have not put the barends back on the bike.

Red on the Maggies IMO. The more I see this build with the Spinergy's the more it grows on me. Actually suit this better than the RTS on other thread now I think. Can't wait to see it completed (any news on shoreing up the frame or is it staying as a display piece for now?)

I got a 2K can of RAL 3000 fire engine red from the local hardware store. I didn't know they sold 2K cans. They come in a limited selection of colors, but it will save the 2K clear coat. I took the bike out for some outside pictures, sadly the sun didn't want to come out. I spotted the brace of the HS22 comes very close to the seat tube, so I guess I'm runnign the brakes without the rear booster?

p5pb26218198.jpg

Even the brake hose will touch the seat tube I guess.

p5pb26218196.jpg

p5pb26218200.jpg

I'm still planning on getting a ring around the bottom steerer tube so the crack will not spread. I found a local shop that can do this, but I have not been able to visit them. But as pictured, the saddle is at least 5cm too low for me, so even if the bike is ridable, I won't ride it that much. Maybe look for an 18" frame? I sorted out the rear axle, the play is gone, but the bearings run very rough.

It's weird that the cable stops are under the top tube, while in the 1995 catalog the picture of the Edge shows the cables on the side of the top tube. Was this done on all team only frames like this?

Last edited:
I started work on the Magura's. I dismantled the whole system, drained all the oil and sanded the crusty paint down to the bare metal. I have to do the same for the front set and then I can start rebuilding. I need to order the quick-release bolts, they were not in the package. I'm also going to order new olives and copper shims. I might also get a new hose, but this one is long enough.

fnHloKzjFIS75jFoUCRbg2Yn.jpg

R6j4MQXAx8nUo8vqZDoqAyei.jpg

The brake booster is pretty bent, I might try to source a carbon one. I used to have those on my old Zaskar.

Hi, I think the yellow Edge T.o. is a rare beauty.

First of all, you should give it a try to fix the head tube to be able to use it other than just a wall hanger.
A guy in Germany had same problem at this Alu Edge just on top of the head tube and fixed it with an homemade but nicely done Alu ring.

Personally I also think that the AMP fork isn't the optimum yet, alone using the one with the CroMo legs, at an Aluminum frame and polished rear end sounds not right.

Let me give it a try to convince you to keep on looking for another fork by showing a few old pictures

With red Judy in a Bike Mag
Rocky Mountain Edge Bild aus Bike 1996_11.jpg

This one is from the Rocky Mountain Facebook site, showing it in use at a DH race.
Rocky Mountain Edge im DH von RM Facebook-Seite 2.jpg

And last but not least, not sure about the exact source of this picture, I think it was a recent article where someone made a visit at the RM HQ.
So even Rocky Mountain seem to have this frame still laying around.
Rocky Mountain edge Hausbesuch Rocky Mountain.jpg

I was thinking about a stainless ring that goes outside of the bottom headtube, not a complete new insert like that German guy did. Make it 0.05mm too small and heat it up to put it in place. Should work well I guess. I'm still tinkering with the bike, the specs are not final. I found an XTR M952 rear derailleur and an XT FD-M737 front derailleur. But indeed, the red Judy does look great in this frame. I may need to source one now :) I also need to fix the damper and the bushing at the frame side, it has a lot of play. But first I'm going to paint the brakes.

Back