1989/1990 Trek 950 way too small?

tomk0909

Dirt Disciple
Hi All,

Recently saw this on FB marketplace and having heard a bit about the Trek SingleTrack line I decided to take a risk for £25. Not a bad deal?

Unfortunately I think the frame is too small for me, being 6ft and the size being 16.5”, is this too much of a stretch to try and get to fit me?

If the frame is too small for me, is it worth trying to save/restore? There is some some flaky rust on the bar between the two chain stays but apart from that it seems in okay condition.

This is the only photo I have at the moment, I will try and get some more added to this thread this weekend.

Attachments

• 00189DBD-390F-4837-A75D-884C564CC57F.jpeg
    00189DBD-390F-4837-A75D-884C564CC57F.jpeg
    220.1 KB · Views: 35
I fear so. I've tried and failed to make smaller frames work, I'm just shy of 6ft and 18 is as small as I can realistically go, retro or modern.

They’re a quality frameset, and you’ve done well to pick it up for £25, but alas it’ll be too small for you.
You could try all manner of stems and bar extension, but you’re efforts will be better spent on a larger framed bike.

I feared this may be the case. I suppose I will just have to move it on and keep my eye out for something similar around the 18-20” range. Thanks for the input everyone, better luck next time!

Keep the kit and sell the frame, it will all fit a larger frame, aside from say cables, seat post and possible stem depending on the frame you end up with.

Keep the kit and sell the frame, it will all fit a larger frame, aside from say cables, seat post and possible stem depending on the frame you end up with.
Ah okay! Sounds like a good idea. Now just the dilemma of what frame to look for🤔

Back