Emelle - How bad are these?

Sorry but emmelle were horrid things cheap shit frames with a reasonable groupset doe's not make them a good bike.

FSR-Si":2j4eiz54 said:
Sorry but emmelle were horrid things cheap shit frames with a reasonable groupset doe's not make them a good bike.

I didn't say they were good but the Dolomite was far more likely to get people into bikes (like the lads I knew) then make them run for the hills like the modern supermarket tat.

It's an Emmelle Cortina

From memory an 1990 model- sold for 250quid new.

A bit heavy and ponderous but was good for the money BITD

Andy

My mate had a reasonable spec one for Christmas and broke the forks after 2 weeks. I liked it to be honest and it was lighter than my Peugeot Barracuda. Saying that I wished I’d picked the bottom entry Kona.

A friend of mine got an Emmelle Cougar around the same time I got my Raleigh Maverick GT (the GT was the one with the decent frame and flat bars) and it was crap in comparison despite only costing about £30 less. However it lasted OK and we went everywhere on this and my Maverick.
He then got hold of an early Emmelle Dolomite frame and had this powder coated and built it up with Exage Mountain, Mountain LX and Deore components which was quite a step up and turned out to be a nice bike.
My guess is that although not a Klein or even Kona there is far worse out there than Emmelle, Apollo for a start.

Carl.

well it's better than 1. no bike 2. walking 3. going by public transport
And if your first bike then you may like cycling so much that you spend more ££££ next time. :)

This definitely looks like an Emmelle Classic 300 to me, the 300 LX Exage gear that`s on it gives it away,and the fact that I had one. I have to say I had no complaints and went all over on it, Lake District, Scottish Highlands, even did the Coast to Coast on it.

Emmelle?

"Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!"

C'mon, don't be silly, Emmelle, Townsend, Falcon, no no and thrice no!!

Marmite King":7i0rmh2p said:
This definitely looks like an Emmelle Classic 300 to me, the 300 LX Exage gear that`s on it gives it away,and the fact that I had one. I have to say I had no complaints and went all over on it, Lake District, Scottish Highlands, even did the Coast to Coast on it.
Did you notice it's also in Carlisle? :)

I have to say, I didn't expect quite this much discussion when I posted originally. Would love to see what sort of a reaction this would get at a trail centre. Ideas, ideas :twisted:

Back