Kona AA - something different...

Further I'vebeenthinkingovertheweekend type update... Not keen on the bars, really should have gone for shallower drops with proper flare. While I wait for those to pop up somewhere I can get wheels on and clean up the brakes...

Last edited:
Further I'vebeenthinkingovertheweekend type update... Not keen on the bars, really should have gone for shallower drops with proper flare. While I wait for those to pop up somewhere I can get wheels on and clean up the brakes...
I've gone the other way 😅, went for some bars with less flare than what I've used previously. The trigger shifter is interesting, sure someone makes/made drop bar mounts for them 🤔,but bar end shifters work well.
What brake levers you going for? Tektro do a model that works well with V-brakes, otherwise most road levers should work with canti brakes

I've gone the other way 😅, went for some bars with less flare than what I've used previously. The trigger shifter is interesting, sure someone makes/made drop bar mounts for them 🤔,but bar end shifters work well.
What brake levers you going for? Tektro do a model that works well with V-brakes, otherwise most road levers should work with canti brakes
I saw some references to such mounts, but couldn't find anything. I'll keep in mind as an option.
For brake levers I have Tektro ones designed to be used with regular cantilevers / calipers

Brakes cleaned up a bit the other night, I can see why they're fiddly, not sure I'm looking forward to setting those up....

Question for Kona folk - boosters: will I need them on this frame and/or fork? opinions please...

A shorter and slightly higher stem option was also available at a price too good to pass up. I'm hoping the second choice bar will also arrive today to allow for some garage time tonight or over the weekend...

Attachments

• PXL_20240228_211742656.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240228_211742656.MP.jpg
    377.6 KB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20240228_220739157.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240228_220739157.MP.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20240301_085649073.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240301_085649073.MP.jpg
    593.2 KB · Views: 9
Ref setting up the curve cantis, not too bad really, use a spanner to hold the collar at the right spring tension, and tighten bolt with Allen key. Adjust if needed to balance.

Ref boosters, I’ve never felt the need for them, and didn’t have them on my AA, which was running V’s, rather than canti’s.

Awesome frame! I dig the drop bar conversion! What did you end up with for bars with shallow drop/flare? I have Ritchey Corralitos on my gravel bike which are affordable and have a bit of rise and not much reach... I would recommend them!

Awesome frame! I dig the drop bar conversion! What did you end up with for bars with shallow drop/flare? I have Ritchey Corralitos on my gravel bike which are affordable and have a bit of rise and not much reach... I would recommend them!
Trying to keep costs down, so went with some cheap second hand ebay jobs with a v shallow drop, and a 25.4 clamp size to match stem, which narrowed options further.

Cockpit setup will almost certainly be something to tinker with in the medium/long term...

Trying to keep costs down, so went with some cheap second hand ebay jobs with a v shallow drop, and a 25.4 clamp size to match stem, which narrowed options further.

Cockpit setup will almost certainly be something to tinker with in the medium/long term...

I understand completely! It's tricky trying to use an original stem when wanting a more modern bar setup unless you want to spend high end bar money!

Quick update as I managed to get some bulid progress in this weekend:

- Shifter installed and cabled up - just need a Shiftmate (on the way) to enable full indexing. happy the deraileur can cope with the monster cassette.
- Position seems good and rides nicely. Maybe it's just the feel of drop bars and big tyres but acquring nicer rubber will be a medium-term aim.
- Narrow wide chainring installed, chain line seems good but will know for sure after Shiftmate installed.
- Brakes working well (crosstops installed) but pads need further fine tuning, hoping to get minor wobble in rear wheel ironed out this week which will help.
- Then black/purple bar tape to install and she'll be ready for the canal path!
- Would purple platforms be too much?

PXL_20240414_151556819.MP.jpg

Looking good 👍🏻 I like those brakes.
I think purple pedals would look good, I'm a fan of the resin/plastic pedals, DMR V6 are cheap, they have plastic pins but are still plenty grippy, otherwise I'm sure there are others with steel (shin wrecker) pins too. I'm using Nukeproof Neutron Evo pedals on my Shogun, plastic body, metal pins, plenty of grip.

Back