1990 Overbury's Pioneer

Markybeau

Gold Trader
Dyna-Tech Fan
Feedback
View
Seen so much love for these everywhere they are mentioned, and yet I never really had a hankering for one. Then I started to study the photos on the ebay ad...

All of the other frames I have are mass produced. Nothing even close to this. It seemed a bit more personal.

Then it occurred to me that I couldn't recall seeing one in the metal before. It was only 20 minutes up the road, what harm could be done by going and having a look?

On the way, I talked myself into buying it - if the frame was sound. Oops. I could work out the finances. That could be rationalised, as could the reasons for having it. How long would it be before another came up in my size? All the others I'd seen for sale were bigger, all of them.

The photos flattered it a little, but I still wanted it. After giving it a thorough once over, checking for damage, I tried to play it cool.

We started chatting bikes in the seller's really nice kitchen, and the reason I was there got pushed to one side for a bit. Mid conversation I blurted out ' I'll take it '.

I left with a slightly tired Pioneer and wearing a smile. I felt like I'd been ushered into a hallowed space. Somewhere all the other bikes I'd owned had never taken me. I was excited, and it had dawned on me that this could be a bit more involved than simply bolting new parts on.

First thing to do was strip it. Then have a think...
Screenshot_20240310_182809_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
What do we know?

It got a Colombus Cromor OR sticker, so presumably tubeset. Judging by how weighty it is I would say that's about right.

The paint's not in great shape.

The serial number looks to be 1007.

Tioga stamped bar.

Those classy Mavic Paris Gao Dakar hubbed wheels, which, if I'm honest, are what swayed it for me.- Front is a 231 rim rear is a 281. The front needs truing but is rideable.

What I don't know is what year it is. Although I'm assuming it's a later one because of the serial number, and because it doesn't have a U brake.

Last edited:
Back