Does Your Bike Want To Kill You

My first real bike was a GT. I'm a GT guy. I love old GTs. Also, an aluminum triple triangle frame is the most rigid hunk of metal know to man. Zero forgiveness for anyone with the slightest amount of low back pain. They are not intended for long rides. But they do look cool.
I'll see your GT and raise you an MC1.o_O

I agree on the GT bit as I had a GT Pantera with matching rigid forks. Every single miniscule bit of gravel I hit made my lower back fully aware of its presence. Suspension forks only softened the front end, rear was still filling dislodging rigid. Sold that on quick enough to some one who believes that ride characteristic is good, nutter😝

2012 Diamondback Nitrus 24. I call it Snakebite because of the mess the pedal spikes make of my lower legs nearly every time I ride it IMG_20220812_131110249.jpg IMG_20220812_131036153~2.jpg
It's stiffer than any Cannondale and the 24" wheels make it certain that every wrinkle in the surface is felt. I still love the thing.

I have absolutely no patience with bikes.

On the first ride if they don't feel promising they go with no regrets. A few rides out and pushing the bike a bit more usually decides things; always trying to get a similar position and same contact points to make a valid comparison.

I have absolutely no patience with bikes.

On the first ride if they don't feel promising they go with no regrets. A few rides out and pushing the bike a bit more usually decides things; always trying to get a similar position and same contact points to make a valid comparison.
The only place an uncomfortable bike visits is the back of the shed/garage.

Your body can get used to a lot of things, but it takes time, maybe some months. Then after a lot of kilometers, you can be just one with your bike. Also when changing to a more high level bike, can result in some falls. I had around 60000 kms on a ti cyclocross frame with carbon fork, with a relatively hard sqlab saddle, no gel panties, and made a tour of about 5 month, 6000 kms with a 20+ kilo backpack during covid lockdown. Lot of it was offroad terrain. Involved many uphill climbs. No pain occured in my back at all, thanks to the bike and the fact that my body got used to this abuse. On the bike i carried only 5 kilograms. Manuvering, and carrying the bike where it was necessary was easy and enjoyable. But when i try this with even smaller weight on my back nowadays, i really don't understand how i could manage that for a half year. Sure thing i don't want this again...

Last edited:
Back